Hello! I’m Aiden, Director of Product Design at Customer.io.
Customer.io is looking for a Senior Product Designer to join our product design team. Our team is working hard to build a product that enables companies to build inventive, flexible and empathetic automated communications with their customers. You’ll join a team of designers in a remote and distributed company of ~220 team members across 17 countries.
This role will join our in-app messaging squad, where you’ll make powerful, intuitive tools that enable our customers to send targeted messages inside their web and mobile applications. This is a senior role on a complex product that serves both non-technical and developer personas. We’re looking for an experienced designer with a track record operating effectively in a similarly challenging mission.
As a Senior Product Designer, you’ll partner with a Product Manager and a team of engineers to lead a squad solving specific customer needs. You’ll research and design solutions while also working with the squad to prioritize projects, build customer empathy, and measure the success of new features. You’ll push the entire design team to create more impactful experiences by giving great feedback, iterating on team processes, and holding people accountable for our culture and quality standards.
What you’ll do…
- Develop an understanding and compassion for customers through research
- Create design proposals for new features and collaborate with engineers on prototypes
- Participate in the product team’s prioritization of work, advocating for influential design improvements
- Help shape the design team’s culture and design processes, including sharing thoughtful 1:1 feedback with peers
- You’re an experienced product designer with 3+ years of experience in a software development setting
- You are comfortable approaching problems from first principles, repeatedly asking “why?” and using that insight to explore unique, innovative solutions to complex problems
- Your design executions display a high level of craft, and you have a strong ability to communicate the thinking behind your designs to partners and stakeholders
- You have a growth mindset and a willingness to receive and provide feedback, and learn from mistakes
- You thrive with autonomy and ownership, and are comfortable navigating ambiguity
- You are comfortable communicating asynchronously, including across time zones
- You have a passion for making complex functionality more approachable
- You have experience understanding complex systems and designing simple, elegant user interfaces for them
What we’re looking for…
- Able to commit to at least 3 hrs of working overlap with the Americas (GMT-8 to GMT-5 timezone)
- Familiarity designing within the constraints of a design system and how interfaces are built from components
- Previous experience designing complex software, with multiple personas.
- Experience conducting your own user research to gather customer insights and incorporate it into your design decision-making
- Experience with tools like Mixpanel, Amplitude, or Fullstory
- Proficiency with Figma
Nice to Haves…
- Understanding of automated messaging – how companies leverage data like events to build target segments
About Design at Customer.io
While your daily work will be as part of a cross-functional squad, the design team will be your home for support and growth. We meet as a design team 3x a week to give feedback on in-progress work and communicate daily about new things we learn, improvements to our design system, etc. Since we are still small and nimble, there is a lot of opportunity to add to our culture and processes.
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 5,300 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of emails, SMS, push notifications, and in-app messages. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $140,000-$162,000 USD (or equivalent in local currency) depending on experience and subject to market rate adjustment.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO – we encourage 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 16 weeks paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- 401k retirement matching – up to 5% dollar for dollar match to retirement contributions
- Health and wellness allowance – Up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – Up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – Up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – Up to $300 USD per month for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development – Up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, or workshops – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Opportunities to meet in-person with your peers throughout the year
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete a background check and employment verification as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below and tell us why you’re interested in the position! ****We plan to respond to all applicants with a status update about your application.
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process:
- 30-minute intro call with a Recruiter
- 45 minute video call with the Hiring Manager
- 1 hour video call with a Senior Product Designer
- 1 hour video call – Portfolio Walkthrough
- 45 minute video call with a cross-functional Product Manager
- 45 minute video call with a cross-functional Engineering Manager