Part-Time Accounting Clerk
Location: flexible within the United States
(Travel is contingent upon organizational/state/federal regulations)
Position is available: (Immediately)
WHO WE ARE
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high-quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools – both district and charter – in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partners. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power, and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
We are seeking a part-time Accounting Clerk to support ANet’s Accounting Team with all areas relating to accounting functions. This individual will work 30 hours a week and be responsible for providing administrative and clerical assistance to the Accounting Team to ensure we are executing on daily, weekly, and monthly accounting activities to ensure timely closes and accurate financial reporting. This position will assist with crucial aspects of the team’s work including Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Travel and Expenses, internal/external audits, and legal compliance. Overall, this person will play a critical role in ensuring ANet’s financial sustainability as the organization continues to grow and evolve. This position will report to the Director of Accounting and will work closely with a four-person team supporting an organizational operating budget of $31 million.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
● Accounts Receivable (30%):
○ Process accounting receivables and incoming payments in compliance with financial policies and procedures
○ Perform day-to-day financial transactions, including verifying, classifying, computing, posting, and recording accounts receivables’ data
○ Prepare bills receivable, invoices, and bank deposits
○ Assist with A/R payment collections & follow-ups via email and phone calls
● Accounts Payable & Travel (50%):
○ Reconcile accounts and travel expense reports
○ Enter key data of financial transactions into appropriate systems
○ Assist staff with expense reports and reconciliations
○ Research, track, and troubleshoot accounting problems and discrepancies
○ Inform management and compile reports/summaries on activity areas
○ Function in accordance with established standards, procedures, and applicable laws
○ Learn how to operate and help staff navigate accounting systems
● Accounting Administration (20%):
○ Create and maintain excel spreadsheets and google sheets for various accounting trackers
○ Assist with journal entry preparation for Senior Accountant as needed.
○ Provide accounting and clerical support to the accounting department
○ Provide assistance and support to personnel on accounting questions
○ Assist the Accounting Team with accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close
○ Support Audit Activities in helping the Accounting team pull and prepare yearly audit items
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role and at ANet, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You have 1-2 years of accounting/financial experience (including A/R, A/P, T&E, etc)
● You bring a familiarity with bookkeeping and accounting procedures
● You demonstrate proficiency in both verbal and written communication
● You are a team player, have a positive customer service attitude, and ability to communicate with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
● You have hands-on experience with spreadsheets and financial reports
● You possess an ability and eagerness to perform administrative tasks
● You are comfortable using a variety of financial platforms and systems
● You have experience working remotely and are comfortable with the technology needed to work remotely
● You are deadline-driven and solutions-oriented and thrive at working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily. You are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values, and our work towards becoming an anti-racist organization.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● Experience with nonprofit accounting practices
● Bachelor’s degree or relevant certification is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values-driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having an impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named by The NonProfit Times “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
We offer comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: medical, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partners; generous paid time-off including 10 paid holidays and paid days off between Christmas and New Year’s holidays; paid parental leave; educational expenses reimbursements; flexible spending accounts; professional development; a 401(k) plan with a 4% match; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance. We also offer an inclusive environment where we welcome you to bring your whole self to work every day.
The pay range for this position is between $25.00 – $38.00 per hour. New staff members typically start between the range minimum and midpoint based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. In order to uphold our commitment to equity, ANet does not negotiate pay.
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your application online.
ANet has implemented a Mandatory Vaccination Policy, which requires all staff to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons prior to commencement of employment unless applicable state or local law provides otherwise.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal-opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.