WHO WE ARE
Adopt-a-Pet’s vision for the future is one where every pet that enters a shelter leaves through the front door and into a loving home. This proclamation drives everything we do, and the people who work here have the satisfaction of knowing that they are using all of their talents to save the lives of animals and give their new owners the gift of unconditional love. Every month at Adopt-a-Pet, we connect over 250,000 homeless pets with 5 million potential new families!
The team at Adopt-a-Pet is a group of intellectually curious individuals united by a set of shared goals and values: make a positive impact in the world, operate with integrity, value our partners and support one another, collaborate, continuously learn, and have fun!
WHAT IT’S LIKE TO WORK HERE
Are you looking to step away from the breakneck pace of startups and process-heavy tech giants? At Adopt-a-Pet, we work tirelessly on behalf of animals, but we do our very best to strike a healthy and sustainable work + life balance. We encourage our employees to do their best work, collaborate with your team, learn, and then turn off your computer and play with your dog. We’ll all be better for it.
We’ve made a choice to be an entirely distributed team. Everyone at Adopt-a-Pet is free to live and work in the places they thrive, and we do just that! Leveraging tools like Slack and Zoom, we have been able to foster a highly collaborative culture based on trust, empathy, and autonomy.
WHO YOU ARE
As a Front-End Developer, you work collaboratively with design and product team members to develop and deploy software products to market that are scalable, maintainable, and of the highest quality. You appreciate the details in a design, and you do not consider a component complete until those details have been addressed. You will also share knowledge with your team to ensure that we do not have information silos or single points of failure. As a member of this elite engineering team, you will actively contribute to our ever-evolving best practices and standards, which all team members are to follow. This role requires that you are self-motivated, team-oriented, thrive in a remote environment, and are based in the contiguous United States.
When it comes to development, we value efficient solutions that solve problems we have over following the practices of multi-billion-dollar technology companies. We recognize that plugins and extensions can save time, but can also introduce constraints to a project that are difficult to support long-term. In short, we value the right tools for the right job.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with developers, designers, marketers, and product managers to drive product experiences from concept to implementation while striving for the perfect balance in performance, user experience, visual design, and search engine optimization (SEO).
- Strong attention to detail and the unwavering ability to bring designs and expected functionality to life.
- Experience architecting and building large scale applications, products, reusable components, and platforms.
- Experience integrating with back-end systems, APIs, and SDKs to create rich, data-driven content.
- Passionate and strong work ethic.
- Staying up-to-date with new industry trends and emerging web technologies.
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD) using Jest, Mocha, PHPUnit/Selenium, or other test frameworks.
At a minimum, you must meet the following qualifications:
- At least 3 or more years of full-time professional work experience developing web-based applications.
- Vast experience with HTML5 (and semantic tags), and SASS/LESS/PostCSS.
- Exposure to Alpine.js and Tailwind CSS.
- Experience building responsive user experiences using fluid layouts and grids.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- A strong sense of and pride in attention to UI/UX design details and layout; experience collaborating closely with designers.
- Holistic ability to assess end-to-end flows, to provide feedback and creative solutions on UI/UX.
- Proficient using version control software (git).
- Proven debugging and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- A team-focused attitude.
- Knowledge of agile methodologies.
You would stand out if you have experience with:
- Laravel Mix and/or webpack
- Sketch App or Figma
- Strength in mentoring and inspiring other team members.
- Familiarity with common development principles (DRY, SOLID, etc).
- Competitive salary
- Fully-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision
- 401K plan with company matching
- Unlimited vacation days
- Mega-flexibility for work-life balance
- Fantastic team of highly-motivated, smart people to collaborate with
Adopt-a-Pet.com participates in E-Verify, a web-based system that allows an employer to determine an employee’s eligibility to work in the US using information reported on an employee’s Form I-9. The E-Verify system confirms eligibility with both the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). For more information, please go to the USCIS E-Verify website.