Curriculum Associates hires people, not positions. If you feel energized by what you read here, but aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! We believe diverse backgrounds lead to innovative thinking, making our products better for the 8 million students we serve. Above all, we’re looking for the right person to grow with us.
We are seeking a talented and collaborative Art Director to bring engaging and innovative design to our portfolio of language arts curriculum print products. The Art Director reports to the Design Director, Language Arts and is responsible for working independently – as well as with the internal design team, editorial teams and key stakeholders – to define, develop, produce and manage compelling visual designs from conception through to completed product. Successful candidates will thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment, and will have a passion for exploring and working to solve issues of inequity within education.
The impact you’ll have:
- Join a mission-driven company and team that are focused on developing educational resources that support anti-racist beliefs
- Influence the creation of educational resources that are used by 8 million students across the country
- Develop products in collaboration with the educators we serve, as well as work with industry leaders and organizations to ensure culturally responsive resources
- Work with the Design Director, Language Arts and the broader CA Design Team to establish creative direction for new Ready products in both English and Spanish
- Lead conceptual design and art direction of core and supplemental materials (print and related digital resources)
- Lead design launches and reviews and act as design liaison to product teams, ensuring all designs serve larger program and corporate initiatives.
- Design components and features with a focus on Teacher and Student usability, never losing focus on the idea that engaged learners are better learners
- Manage multiple projects – ensuring that projects are delivered on time, on budget, and at the highest level of quality, by building and managing creative project teams, project budgets, and timelines with the Project Management Team
- Contribute to establishing Design Best Practices, including the creation and implementation of style guides, templates, spec sheets, branding guidelines, process documentation, and streamlining of design and production workflow
- Supervise and inspire the creative team and our vendor partners
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or related discipline
- Experience in educational or children’s publishing and/or media, with designing for early childhood learning a plus
- Experience in a design leadership position managing teams, print and/or digital production processes, and diverse projects
- Highly effective with presentations and working with collaborative teams (one-on-one, small/large group, and remote)
- Expert knowledge of all areas of the print design process, including layout, typography, page composition, illustration, and photo/art research and acquisition
- Expert proficiency in Adobe CC suite of applications (PS, AI, INDD); proficiency with Microsoft Office. (Mac OS)
- Able to adapt quickly to new technology, new processes/procedures, in an environment of continuous improvement
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to articulate art/design strategy to non-design stakeholders
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to rapidly exercise independent judgment