As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox Media’s SB Nation is one of the largest-digital sport networks with more than 300 individual fan-centric sports communities. Our network is powered by the most respected digital-native sports journalists.
We are hiring an Associate Director of Programming & Audience who will assist in evolving content strategy, oversee the day-to-day optimization and promotion of editorial content, lead our programming team, capture and disseminate audience learnings based on analytics, and find new content distribution channels.
Goals and Objectives:
- Develop and operationalize SB Nation’s programming strategy with the goal of growing SB Nation’s audience.
- Manage working relationships with sport-specific editorial managers and team sites throughout the network to create a more collaborative and cohesive environment for optimizing and promoting content.
- Identify and optimize priority audience and content opportunities; ensure the content is properly packaged to reach the right audiences.
- Oversee partnership and growth opportunities such as Apple News, Facebook/ Instagram, SmartNews and more.
- Provide leadership, development and structure for the programming team.
- Evaluate and manage emerging off-platform editorial opportunities.
- Create and develop training programs, best practices, and network wide standards for Programming, Story Packaging, SEO, and social platforms.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Strong understanding and experience with analytical tools such as Chartbeat, CrowdTangle, Google Analytics, and SEO principles.
- An understanding of how to uniquely package stories for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Apple News, and other emerging platforms.
- The ability to identify stories before they hit the mainstream; honing unique angles for stories; and creating context beyond the first cycle of news breaking.
- A flexible schedule, as this position will include event-based coverage on nights and weekends.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- An established knowledge of sports
- Experience managing a team
- Attention to detail
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.