Brightline is on a mission to build a bright future for every child, bringing extraordinary behavioral health care to children and families.
We’re in the middle of a behavioral health crisis that we can’t ignore—especially not when it comes to our children. 1 in every 5 children has a behavioral health condition, yet up to 80% still get little or no help. Far too many families face insurmountable barriers when their child really needs help, and parents are too often left feeling alone and without the support they need. We can do so much better. That’s why we’re here!
When you join Brightline, you’re joining a team that has an unstoppable drive to change the lives of families across the country. We’re a team of thoughtful problem-solvers, expert and kind clinicians, and experienced operators and technologists. Above all, we’re committed to helping each other succeed, learn, and grow—all while bringing care to families when, where, and how they need it.
No matter what you’re looking for in your next role, we’re pretty confident that you’ll #FindItAtBrightline.
About the Role
The successful candidate will be able to work independently in a fast paced and constantly changing start-up environment. You will be expected to handle matters across a variety of disciplines and work effectively with numerous business stakeholders. A sharp analytical mind, business acumen and strong work ethic are critical for this role. Ideal candidates will have a combination of healthcare, general labor and employment, and general business and contracting support. We are looking for a quick-study with the ability to adapt to the needs of our evolving business, who also enjoys collaborating on cross-departmental projects. This is the second legal role for the company and is a direct report to the General Counsel.
- Work with General Counsel to cross-functionally to identify, investigate, and manage risks across the business
- Manage the legal / compliance portions of implementing the Corporate Practice of Medicine model across all 50 states including in-depth analysis and risk assessments of requirements within each state
- Draft, negotiate, review, and manage a wide range of commercial agreements, including NDAs, HIPAA Business Associate agreements, client contracts, and vendor contracts
- Support the General Counsel in monitoring regulatory and legislative changes that present new product and market opportunities as well as operational and compliance challenges
- Create systems, processes and tools for master tracking of all key contract terms, expirations, vendors, etc.
- Work cross-functionally to help develop and de-risk new product offerings and client communications
- Advise business teams on a variety of legal and operational issues, including related to privacy, cybersecurity, and intellectual property
- Act as the go-to person for legal and regulatory issues related to market acquisition and expansion
- Manage corporate legal affairs for all entities including documentation of Board meetings, bylaws, revisions to articles and the Brightline Equity Plan
- Assist in managing corporate matters and M&As, as needed
- Manage required state licenses and registrations
- Manage outside counsel regarding any litigation or outside regulatory matters
- Communicate with the Company’s CFO, Executive Team, Board of Directors and ownership regarding various business and legal issues, as needed
- Communicate and coordinate with business partners regarding shared legal concerns
- Contribute to the continued development and improvement of our Data Privacy and Information Security policies, practices, and procedures
- In partnership with the CISO, assist with various compliance projects and audits such as SOC 1, SOC 2, HITRUST, and HIPAA Risk Assessment
- Protects and maintains patient and institutional information in a confidential manner and in a secured environment. Ensures data access limitations through the use of password protection, read only access, and other measures that protect the data from unauthorized or accidental access
- 7+ years of legal experience, gained ideally through a combination of law firm and in-house roles
- Have exceptional organizational and communication skills
- Have excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Have the ability to work independently, juggle multiple priorities, and meet important deadlines
- Have experience in a technology and venture capital funded organizations
- Have experience in the healthcare industry, specifically organizations serving the self-funded employer market
- Have experience providing guidance on regulatory issues
- Member in good standing of at least one state Bar
- Are a team-player with the ability to work collaboratively across various functions and with colleagues at all levels
Benefits + Perks
- Remote first and focused on community—we have Bright Spots with employees across the country (check out more info below) + generous work-from-home stipend
- Competitive compensation & benefits packages because we know the work you do is hard and we recognize how valuable you are, including an unlimited PTO policy + 14 paid holidays, Health, Vision, Dental, 401k, and stock options
- Collaborate with diverse members across teams with weekly group learning opportunities and team breakfasts (and offsite retreats in the future!)
- Dedicated time for your health and wellness, including group workouts and meditations hosted by Brightline employees
- With your help, we’ll build diverse & equitable programs and experiences
Brightline is a nationally distributed team with many of our team members located throughout the country, some of those being: New York, Boston, Seattle, Portland, Atlanta, Houston, Denver, Minneapolis, San Diego, and Los Angeles. The Brightline office is headquartered in the SF Bay Area, but we consider all local and remote (U.S.) candidates.
At Brightline, we believe that collaborative, diverse, and empathetic tech & product teams can create transformational products to change the lives of families across the country. In a conscious effort to create a diverse and inclusive environment for our employees and the families we serve, we celebrate our individual differences and walks of life. Brightline is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants from every background and life experience to apply.