An opportunity to build technology that’s mobilizing our nation’s future.
Big yellow school buses. You see them everywhere, but did you know they are often managed by pen and paper? At BusRight we’re making school buses safer and more efficient for students, families, schools, and communities nationwide. Our backend supports our entire product suite: streaming real-time location data, computing efficient routes, sending live ETA notifications, and much more.
As our first full-time backend engineer, you will be instrumental in building out our company culture, development processes, and development roadmap. Furthermore, you will have the opportunity to help set company direction and influence transportation innovation.
- Build backend services to enable features like PDF route sheet exports, driver analytics, and real-time location streaming
- Anticipate customer needs and build architecture to support rapid user growth
- Participate in brainstorming sessions, customer feedback forums, and contributing ideas to our product
- Implementing, testing, and releasing software solutions with stringent availability and scalability requirements – our users rely on our apps every day to safely transport their students
- Working with our web and mobile teams to fine-tune our REST API
- Scoping and proposing architectures for new services
- Significant experience working in large software projects
- Solid understanding of relational and document databases and transactions, and intuition for REST API design
- Experienced with test-driven development and general testing best practices
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Embody our values, more here
- Bonus points if you’re familiar with Node + Python and have experience deploying with K8s
- Node, Express, Python are the main languages and frameworks of choice (we are exploring expanding our services with statically typed languages as well!)
- Cloud Firestore as our primary datastore
- Pub/Sub for event streaming
- Hosted on Google Cloud Platform
We’re a growing team and are looking to hire people from a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences – and are hiring across the world. We want to hear from you if you’re interested in our mission, even if you’re not a perfect match for what’s in this job description.