ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code search yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Sourcegraph is growing
Why this job is exciting
- You will be one of the engineers on a team of four. You will have a large, immediate impact on the shape and direction your product and organization is going.
- Each team has extremely interesting challenges and opportunities.
- Sourcegraph’s users all have deeply technical backgrounds, meaning we can focus on the innovation rather than get caught up in product education.
- Immediately upon joining, your contributions will make their way to developers and engineering directors who love Sourcegraph and the idea of any of our products, giving you an exciting and direct feedback loop on your work.
- Sourcegraph will shape how all the top engineering-first companies build, organize, and evaluate themselves.
- You have practice at creating high quality software balanced with a pragmatic understanding of how to make appropriate tradeoffs (e.g. cut scope) to ship quickly and iterate when necessary, as well as taking the time to do things right when appropriate.
- You communicate clearly and empathetically, especially in writing and documentation.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Work closely with your frontend and backend teammates, our Product Manager and Product Designer to implement a scalable, performant backend for code insights using Go.
- Actively shape the direction and participate in the planning of the features we’re going to build, e.g. by writing and reviewing RFCs.
- Collaborate with frontend engineers, and sometimes with our customers, to define the ideal APIs needed to deliver on the desired user experience.
- Collaborate with other product teams to figure out integration points with other Sourcegraph features.
- Desire to learn or existing understanding of Go fundamentals (e.g., dealing with concurrency, error handling, testing).
- Skilled at designing, building, testing (e.g., unit, integration, end-to-end), and debugging high performance distributed systems.
- Good knowledge of Git in particular or other version control systems more generally.
- Experience using SQL or PostgreSQL specifically.
- Experience in designing APIs to be consumed by Single Page Applications collaboratively with frontend engineers or as a full-stack engineer.
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Experience with time-series databases.
- Experience writing high performance Go code and benchmarks.
- Contributions to open source projects.
- Published blog posts and/or tech talks about your work.
- Experience working on small high-performing teams, preferably tech startups.
- Developer platform/tool industry experience.
- Experience in backends for the space of data visualization, dashboards, analytics or similar.
- Interest in measuring code and engineering best practices.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.