Moz is hiring a Manager of Business Intelligence to lead our analytics and data warehousing efforts in a new phase of development. In this role you will help us transform our data and reporting into a self-service, automated resource used to manage Moz’s SaaS business. You will work closely with executive and senior leaders to plan significant investment in our systems, tools, and processes for working with data. The BI Manager is an advocate for data in the organization, and a partner for making BI effective at all levels.
This role is an opportunity to:
Own Moz’s data strategy end-to-end, from acquisition to analysis. You’ll drive decisions including tooling, technology, and investments. This is a chance to shape how analysis is done at the company.
Work with the Moz executive team and board. Our leadership teams are deeply invested in our data strategy, and are excited to work in partnership with the next BI Manager to form an even deeper understanding of our customers and our business.
Build on a strong foundation. Moz has a mature data warehouse and extensively used reporting and visualizations. You’ll be able to leverage the size and scope of our operations in service of your strategy.
We are an office optional company. This position can be fully remote from anywhere within the USA or Canada. We’re also open to having folks be based out of our Seattle, WA or Vancouver, BC offices.
Diversity & Inclusivity: Moz is committed to building diverse teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included, and respected. It’s our mission and promise to interview a diverse and representative slate of candidates before making an offer for our open roles.
What You’ll Do
- Lead reporting and analytics. You’ll have responsibility for the data that drives the Moz business, including our data warehouse, acquisition and tooling, data transformation, metrics, reporting, analytics, visualization, and data science.
Develop a roadmap of investments that provide understanding of our customers and our business and support our data strategies, and drive execution with your team.
Build a team of exceptional data analysts and data scientists with a mix of skills and experience.
Support stakeholders in all areas of Moz, including Product, Marketing, Sales, and Finance. Help them identify what they need to answer the questions they bring to the team, including options they may not have considered.
Demonstrate our core values in your work: Transparent, Accountable, Generous, Fun, Empathetic and Exceptional.
Experience We Want to See
- You’ve been a BI Manager for at least 2 years, including leading analysts, data scientists, or engineers with people management responsibility in an agile environment.
You have significant experience with the tools for modern data analysis, including SQL (required), Python or R, and data visualization tools such as Tableau. You’re expert in SQL and can coach others on techniques like CTEs and window functions. You’re experienced working in and are comfortable teaching others how to optimize queries over large data sets.
You’ve had at least 2 years where you were the owner of a cloud hosted data warehouse (AWS Redshift preferred) in a business context, including responsibility for uptime, resilience, and accuracy.
You have significant experience working directly with executives as a BI Manager, including building reporting, presenting at executive meetings and/or board meetings, and are comfortable answering questions about the business with confidence.
You have a working knowledge of the systems that make up modern data warehouses, including cloud solutions (AWS preferred). We prefer that you’re experienced with containerized python services for data engineering (including experience with ECS).
Moz is the most trusted authority in online search with powerful SEO and Local Search platforms to help marketers improve the position of their brands, business locations and competitive rank in search results. Moz’s platforms are powered by world-class quality data, both robust and fresh enough to serve as the foundation upon which crucial business decisions are made.
Some reasons why you’d want to work with us:
- You want to play a big part in a small but profitable company who are industry leaders.
- You do your best in a setting where excellent work is what’s valued—not face time (a good work-life balance is just how we do things!)
- You value authenticity and a work environment that values who you are and what you can do.
- You’re looking for a big challenge that involves lots of variety, collaboration, inventiveness, and on your toes thinking.
- You want to work alongside people who are passionate, friendly, and helpful.
Our benefits include:
- A strong commitment to work-life balance. We’re big believers in vacations and provide a US$3,000 per calendar year vacation expense reimbursement for all employees.
- Employer match contributions on retirement plans.
- Personal career development including 10 face to face career coaching sessions a year.
- 100% match on charitable contributions up to $5,000/year.