Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, WordPress VIP, WooCommerce, is seeking a talented attorney to lead commercial and product work with a focus on WordPress VIP. In this role you will support the team in building deeper relationships with new and existing clients, and help expand our reach to new users and markets. This is the ideal role for an attorney looking to work on the full spectrum of legal issues for a rapidly growing enterprise/SaaS company.
We’re looking for a versatile team player who is an ace deal closer, gets things done with minimum friction, makes the complex seem simple, and can offer strategic advice to help VIP continue to grow in size, impact, and revenue. This is the ideal role for someone who wants to shape legal and business strategy for a dynamic and rapidly growing company, while helping to make the internet a better place. In this role, you will:
- Structure, negotiate, and draft enterprise sales agreements with our clients, along with a variety of other agreements for the VIP business, like partnership, vendor/services, technology, and advertising/marketing deals
- Help to build business relationships that generate revenue and strengthen our product offerings
- Design processes that enable the team to scale, such as standardizing common deal terms and agreements
- Support the VIP team on the broad assortment of legal issues that arise in our business, with a focus on privacy, intellectual property, and data security
- Have a JD from a US accredited law school and 4-8 years’ experience in legal practice (law firm and/or in-house).
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our business. Primarily: Structuring and negotiating commercial partnerships and strategic transactions, software integrations, licensing (especially open source licenses), intellectual property, and privacy. A successful candidate will have depth of experience in at least some of these areas, and a willingness to learn the rest. Everything at Automattic is done on a global scale and in an international context; bonus points for breadth of experience outside of the US.
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Are business minded and very practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos at Automattic; we solve problems and get things done.
- Thrive in a tech-centered, developer-focused environment, and are adept at collaborating with engineers and understanding technical and product details.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Operate very independently.
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas, and are comfortable living in them, while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
WordPress VIP is the digital platform of choice for the world’s top brands and publishers. Our VIP platform combines the unparalleled WordPress user experience with enterprise-grade infrastructure and best-in-class support, serving billions of web requests per day.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1300 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please tell us: what is your approach to negotiation, and what do you think makes a good business deal?
Also, please make sure to include at least one legal joke in the materials you submit.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.