Posit’s mission is to create free and open-source software for data science, scientific research, and technical communication. We do this to enhance the production and consumption of knowledge by everyone, regardless of economic means, and to facilitate collaboration and reproducible research, both of which are critical to the integrity and efficacy of work in science, education, government, and industry. We are a different kind of software company, and we’re proud to build and sell products that help people understand and improve the world through data.
Founded in 2009, our team has grown steadily over the last several years with the release of new products and a widening base of both enterprise customers and open-source users. We are a remote-first organization of ~325 people, distributed across the United States, Canada, UK, Australia, and Europe, and we are expecting to continue our growth in the next 1-2 years. To better support this expanding team, we are seeking to hire a Compensation Manager to drive our compensation strategy and programs as the company grows. This role will join a team of 8-12 People Ops colleagues in recruiting, people partnering, payroll, and benefits. This position will report to the VP, People Operations (executive team member), and will likely manage one Compensation Analyst position (tbh in 2023).
What you’ll own:
- Career/Job Leveling Frameworks: Create and maintain job leveling frameworks that align to market data and support our expanding functions and teams. Partner with People Ops colleagues to ensure alignment of job levels with career management, promotion, and hiring decisions.
- Market Pricing: Oversee the market pricing process for all job categories, including technical, non-technical, sales, and executive roles. Stay abreast of external trends and labor market changes, and recommend updates to pricing strategy, sources, or tools when needed to ensure our compensation models stay competitive and current. Direct the ongoing job evaluation process, and ensure that offers are aligned with internal frameworks and pay levels.
- Compensation Practice: Consult with managers on salary management, incentive compensation, and sales plan design/administration. Build and manage a cadence for ongoing compensation reviews to ensure that internal pay and job levels remain current to the contributions made by team members in our expanding organization.
- Pay Program Design and Management: In partnership with VP, People Operations and President, design and implement new compensation programs to be sure we can offer commensurate rewards for leaders and employees as the company grows. Manage ongoing program analysis and reporting, and highlight needs for program updates, expansions, or modifications as appropriate.
- People Data Architecture: Partner with colleagues in People Ops, Finance, and IT to ensure that people data definitions and fields used in compensation and career management are integrated and aligned across our core business systems and reporting tools.
What you’ll help with:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion: along with HR colleagues and other internal DEI Council leaders, contribute to our goal of maintaining an inclusive environment for all, and applying a diversity lens to all of our people and business practices.
- Employee Listening: collaborate with PeopleOps peers to respond to employee concerns and questions about rewards programs.
- Compensation and career frameworks: collaborate with our People Partner team to design and apply compensation practices and job leveling frameworks that support greater pay transparency and clarity about career progression. Consult with recruiters and managers on job descriptions and offers that attract exceptional talent while also preserving equity across internal teams and external candidate pools.
What you’ll teach:
- You will teach managers how to have productive and positive conversations with employees about compensation and rewards at Posit
- You will teach colleagues about emerging pay and labor market trends that affect our business
- You will teach us how to use data to better understand our people and our organizational health
What you’ll learn:
- You will learn to design compensation programs for executive roles
- You will learn how compensation practice fits into the bigger picture of people strategy in a quickly growing company
- You will learn how to deliver HR solutions and expertise in a Benefit Corporation context that values employees, our community, our customers, the environment, and our shareholders EQUALLY.
- You have prior experience in a Compensation Partner or similar role, and you are comfortable applying your technical HR knowledge to everyday workplace situations.
- You are excited by the opportunity to manage a Compensation Analyst, and have the skills necessary to create a positive, engaging, and growth-oriented experience for this team member.
- You are exceptionally empathetic and human-centered in your approach to work. You listen deeply to others, and are experienced at the art of inquiry as a means to understand others’ needs and perspectives.
- You have excellent problem-solving capabilities. You are able to apply good judgment and make sound decisions independently.
- You are organized and able to balance competing demands on your energy and focus. You can toggle between the analytical and emotional aspects of compensation work with ease.
- You demonstrate courage and conviction when offering advice about pay management. You are comfortable drawing a firm boundary or delivering tough feedback when necessary.
- You believe that kindness matters. Your regard for the dignity and lived experience of others is exemplary. You can easily spot situations at work where kindness and respect may be lacking, and are comfortable addressing them directly.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means that our open-source mission is codified into our charter and that our corporate decisions balance the interests of the community, customers, employees, and shareholders.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- As an organization, we value service, sustainability, respect, humility, and kindness in our approach to work.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We support flexible approaches to individual workflow and scheduling practices, and show respect for each other’s needs in these areas.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you, and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- 100% distributed team. We’ve always been a remote-first company.
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- Medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered!)
- 401k matching
- Paid parental and family care leave
- A home office allowance or reimbursement for coworking space
- Annual bonus program for all regular employees
- A flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.