At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 4 million people use our first product, Fresh EBT, to manage government benefits on their EBT card, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re expanding further into the financial services space by building a new financial product that will offer the best banking option for low-income Americans.
The content designer on our benefits pod will be responsible for designing content-centric experiences that help our users navigate and manage government benefits. One of your primary responsibilities will be maintaining and iterating on Fresh EBT’s Benefit Updates Center, a critical source of truth for our 4+ million users. You’ll also work on product flows, new features, in-product messaging, taxonomies, blog posts, and more. You’ll collaborate with a cross-functional product team to continuously improve our product based on user research and analytics. You’ll also play a role in developing our evolving brand voice and championing a cohesive brand story across our evolving product ecosystem.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- An opportunity to make a real impact on our growing team as well as the 4+ million users who rely on the content you build
- A fun, caring, get-stuff-done culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (remote work through at least mid 2021 with option to remain remote after that)
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with researchers, product designers, product managers, data analysts, and engineers on compelling solutions for our users
- Write a lot of meaningful copy, with a focus on translating complicated concepts into clear language that’s critical for helping our users navigate benefit changes
- Design, write, test, and improve product flows, information hubs, new features, taxonomies, and other types of content across our product and marketing ecosystem
- Help conduct research and analyze data to determine the ongoing impact of the experiences you design
- Help refine the content management systems and processes
- Help source and confirm the accuracy of the policy and benefits information you’ll be sharing in our Benefit Updates Center
- Help develop and champion our evolving brand voice, style, and mechanics
What you have:
- 4+ years of experience as a content designer, content strategist, UX writer, or a similar type of content-centric design role. Or maybe you’ve never had a design role, but you’re a strong writer who’s hungry to learn. Or maybe you’ve only worked in an interaction or visual design role, but you want to focus more on content. If you think you’re the right person for this job, we want to hear your story.
- A portfolio of relevant design work and writing samples
- Mastery of writing rules and the confidence to know when to break them
- Love for the forest and the trees: you comfortably switch between high-level strategic thinking and hands-on designing on a daily (or sometimes hourly) basis
- A way with systems: you can develop and sustain the complicated systems necessary to support large-scale content experiences
- Next-level written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to lead projects with minimal direction and lots of ambiguity
- Proficiency in or ability to quickly get up to speed with Figma
- Bonus skills: user research, analytics, interaction design, UX design, editorial strategy