This is a unique opportunity to help What Information Wants sell a million copies.
We think these ideas are crucial to humanity’s future. Your job is to build a dedicated audience around them.
I. What is Roote?
Roote is an educational hub and for-public startup studio accelerating the personal and collective transformation necessary for humanity’s transition to the Wisdom Age.
- Our educational hub runs the Roote Fellowship, a podcast, and a newsletter.
- Our startup studio launches Roote Projects, ambitious projects which catalyze systems-level change for a wiser world.
II. Role Overview
What Information Wants is:
- A book exploring replicators on earth.
- A community pushing the Overton window for books and knowledge production.
- A platform for tracking the memesphere.
You are responsible for growing the community around the book.
Your north star is: Can you build a massive audience itching to pre-order What Information Wants?
If you’re interested in leading something new that will maximize your rate-of-learning, please apply!
What You’ll Do
- Grow Rhys’ and Roote’s initial audience by 100x—from a few thousand into millions.
- Use data-driven methods to empathize with and grow our audience across content verticals like Rhys’ Substack, The Rhys Show, and new verticals like TikTok.
- Plan and execute campaigns across the top, middle, and bottom of the funnel (example).
- Work with Rhys to optimize his written and podcast content to drive email subscribers
- Create additional on-brand content like infographics, guides, and reports to drive conversion
- Lead and grow the community based around Rhys’ Interintellect Series, What Information Wants.
- Long-term we hope to turn What Information Wants into much more than a book by helping learners retain and apply knowledge, linking the book ideas into the epistemic commons of Wikipedia, and collaborating with communities of knowledge production like: #ToolsForThought, #DeSci, #DeSo, and others. (See our initial experiments here: 1, 2.)
You will do all of this in a network-first way. If you help other book communities grow, that’s great!
After 1 year, success looks like: you’ve grown Rhys’ newsletter to 100k subscribers, The Rhys Show to a top 10 podcast, and What Information Wants is the top Amazon pre-order.
After 3 years, success looks like: After a successful book release, you leverage this dedicated community of 10k people to begin co-creating the next Wikipedia and move the Overton window for how books contribute to the epistemic commons.
You May Be a Fit if You
- Have experience successfully growing a 10,000-person community before a future book launch. (This is a good model.)
- Have experience analyzing and driving data-driven results with SEO, Google Analytics, HTML/CSS, and various forms of statistics (A/B testing, Chi-Square Analysis). You’re likely a spreadsheet wiz 🙂
- Have experience with social media marketing especially Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok.
- Have experience organizing communities of researchers around knowledge production. (Or want to do so!)
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Have a proven ability to be a self-starter capable of driving customer results without significant supervision.
- Have the ability to bring structure to ambiguous strategic questions and thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving environment.
- Have a strong bias toward concrete action. You should often ask: “Why can’t this be done sooner?”
- Have a strong bias towards ambition. You should often ask: “Is this the most ambitious plan we could come up with?”
Even if not all of these apply to you, we’d still love to consider your application, particularly if you’d like to learn more of these. Studies show that you can be considered for a role even if many of a job posting’s listed qualifications don’t apply to you. We evaluate all applications holistically.
Why You Might Be Excited About Us
- You get to be weird and creative. This is not a traditional VC firm, tech company, online school, or academic research hub.
- You want to work with us. Here is our team. And here are our How to Work With Me Manuals.
- We have a great network. You want to work with global leaders and ambitious frontier people.
- You are aligned with Roote’s guiding mission and values.
- We have an extremely flexible leave policy and provide benefits including full health, dental, and vision coverage.
Time Expectation: Start as soon as possible.
Location: We are a hybrid org based in the SF Bay Area. If you’re here, we’d work in the office together a few days a week. We also have quarterly offsites!
(The listed salary is based on US rates. We adjust salaries to reflect regional costs of living.)
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Work From Home
- Wellness Resources