Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to over 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.3 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
Our Data Engineering teams design, develop, and support one of Upwork’s most valuable asset, its data, with focus on developing scalable, high quality integration and transformations. We are looking for an engineering leader who is passionate about making data highly consumable and reusable across Upwork, unlocking its value to drive business growth, product experience, and high-impact decision making. In this role you will partner with engineering and business leaders to design and deliver complete, and often strategic, data solutions. You will have a key role in making sure that our data scientists, analysts, engineers, business partners, and executive leadership team have consistent and reliable data and insights at their fingertips.
- Lead a team of freelancer data engineers in various time zones and countries
- Develop maintainable and scalable data integration pipelines using SQL/Snowflake, Python, and other data processing languages and tools
- Operate and enhance existing data pipelines to meet or exceed data delivery and data quality service level agreements
- Partner with other data engineering leaders to evolve our standards, guidelines, architecture, and strategy, ensuring as a team we are delivering with optimal quality, efficiency, and impact.
- Contribute to the development of our data integration roadmap and drive the successful delivery of our commitments
- Work with data architecture, business partners, and technical product managers, to design and extend data models that promote high performance solutions and data reuse and consumability
- Work with partner teams to influence source system data models and collection
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Executing with excellence in a fast-paced environment
- Partnering with multiple business and engineering stakeholders
- Developing and delivering using agile/scrum methodologies
- Leading and coaching data engineers and elevating team performance
- Managing through ambiguity, setting clear direction, and guiding teams through obstacles
- Solving complex data and engineering problems
- Communicating effectively to all levels
- Driving large data projects from conceptualization to implementation
- Developing advanced SQL optimizations for highly complex, high volume data
- Developing dimensional data models that improve data quality, accessibility, and performance
- Experience working with behavioral and marketing data, and with marketing systems such as Tealium, Braze, and Salesforce
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 195 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.