NerdWallet is seeking a Data Science Intern who is passionate about working in a high-growth start-up environment where there are real opportunities to make a meaningful and positive impact on consumers’ financial lives. A Data Science Intern will work on machine learning problems with a complete workflow, from data gathering and discovery, to modeling and evaluation, and production deployment. Problems we tackle will impact our educational and transparency products which are discovered and used by millions of consumers.
As an intern at NerdWallet, you will thrive in an environment where we value creativity, teamwork, and a “consumer-first” product culture. Our small teams of “Nerds” provide you with the unique opportunity to collaborate with and learn from experienced data scientists and engineers, as well as business and product area owners, thus evolving our products into a delightful, efficient, and seamless experience. By the end of your internship, you will be well on your way towards becoming a well-rounded Data Scientist and product innovator who embodies the unique NerdWallet culture.
This internship takes place between September and December.
Where you can make an impact:
- Deliver on high visibility data science projects that improve on the relevance of NerdWallet’s financial advice to our customers
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other data teams at NerdWallet to define best practices and leverage shared platforms, insights, and innovations
- Own data and ML pipelines that empower product teams and increase the impact of data science throughout the organization
- Creative problem solver: Passionate about answering questions with data
- Structured thinker: Understand how to break down complex problems into the key components where data science and machine learning can be used to improve existing solutions
- Enthusiastic Collaborator: You are able to participate in building cross-disciplinary support and developing solutions in order to improve our products
- Consumer first and positive attitude: Motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment – business decisions here can connect and impact millions of users
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a math or sciences field. (For example: engineering, statistics, economics, biology, physics, social science, etc)
- Strong computer science fundamentals and hands on experience with Python
- Foundational knowledge in probability and statistics
- Passion and interest in big data, machine learning, new programming languages, and technology stacks
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Living stipend to help with any work from home needs
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Intern socials to get to know other interns through interactive events like paint nights to game nights
- Culture Buddy Program – Get paired with a full-time engineer to help navigate our nerdy culture
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like our Activities Challenge and our annual Charity Auction (Yes, we also do these remotely!)
Lifestyle (Be your best self – we’ll take care of the details)
- During your internship, you will be integrated into your team and have a dedicated mentor and manager to help you along the way
- Opportunities to meet with our Nerdy leaders through lunches and one on one meetings
- Deep Dive learning events to hear about parts of NerdWallet’s teams and business
- Workshops to build soft skills along with your technical skills with topics ranging from feedback to presentations
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- Personal Finance Workshop to learn the ins and outs of different topics from investing to retirement
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.