Job Location: Chennai
We are seeking a talented and agile Database Administrator to help us develop, maintain, and monitor databases in our clients’ heterogeneous database environments. This position requires a self-motivated individual with a strong DBA foundation who can implement creative ways to solve complex problems. The Database Administrator is responsible for delivering innovative, reliable, secure, and impactful DBA services (for both traditional and PaaS databases) for Bounteous’ clients across multiple public cloud environments (AWS, Azure and GCP) recommending, incorporating, and implementing best practices and act as a catalyst to the digitization journey of our clients.
The ideal candidate enjoys discovering, learning, and experimenting with new heterogeneous database environments. Experience with or interest in different Relational Databases and NoSQL Data Stores is a plus.
Role and Responsibilities
- Own the data application layer of our solutions; understand the technologies in use and how our applications integrate with databases. Lead modeling activities; partner closely with architecture and development leads to solve problems
- Drive the development of performance benchmarks of databases; partner with solution architects and development teams on performance testing activities; perform SQL monitoring and optimization
- Synchronize data across multiple development, testing, and production environments, including migrating between disparate databases
- Strive for clean database design; implement and enforce consistent database conventions; design and optimize data models for the requirements at hand; normalize and de-normalize as necessary
- Work closely with developers to solve problems related to application design, data modeling, data access, and reporting
- Use version control for all databases; drive database changes through the development process and environments; develop automated ways to promote database modifications; create deployment scripts for upgrades; develop and implement database standards and procedures
- Support troubleshooting and resolution of database-related issues; tune applications and databases to improve performance
- Lead by example and communicate clearly; direct and mentor a team of Database Administrators
- Lead efforts to meet project milestones and deadlines
- Author weekly reporting of abnormalities and critical issues; provide root cause analysis and recommendations; work with infrastructure, application, and related teams to achieve resolution; escalate as necessary
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time; provide end-to-end problem resolution
- Able to work On-Call rotations and provide support/mentorship at L3 (senior engineer support)
- Experience handling P1/P2 calls and escalations
- 10+ years of overall operational experience as a DBA, System Administrator, System Engineer, DB Developer, or other directly related role with extensive SQL exposure, preferably in diverse cloud environments, in a 24*7 model
- 10+ years of experience supporting traditional server-based and relational databases (SQL Server/Oracle/MySQL/PostgreSQL); 5+ years of experience with public cloud environments (AWS/Azure)
- 5+ years of experience as a cloud DBA with leading database technologies, administration, and related tasks within cloud environments (AWS, Azure, or GCP with any of Oracle/ MYSQL/ PostgreSQL)
- 5+ years of solid DBA experience in Oracle Database (version 19c) and/or SQL Server 2012
- Experience designing, planning, and migrating large-scale customer databases from traditional infrastructure to Azure Cloud (or from other cloud platforms to Azure/AWS)
- Hands-on experience with Azure and AWS PaaS/RDS databases, Cosmos DB, Redis Cache, Amazon Aurora, MongoDB, or DynamoDB
- Expert in planning, deploying, maintaining, and troubleshooting high-availability database environments (Always-On, Clustering, Mirroring, etc.)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of security fundamentals, as well as operating system administration and maintenance
- Sound understanding of database replication, performance tuning/optimization, patching, upgrades, and administration utilities
- Strong experience in database back-up/restore, availability, performance tuning, health-checks, schema refinement, and/or Logical DBA activities, etc.
- Experience with Linux environments, including OpenSSH tools (ssh, scp, sftp, ssh-keygen), network configuration, load-balancing, general application backup/recovery, sizing and space management, and troubleshooting – diagnostics
- Proven ability to develop POCs and prototypes; propose solutions to automate day-to-day activities
- Implementation experience on process optimizations that enhance database and Customer experience
- Solid understanding of factors impacting database performance in the cloud, updating knowledge base (KB) articles, Problem Management articles, and SOPs/runbooks
- Ability to work as a part of a team, as well as independently. The ability to analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end
- Strong foundation, Continual Service Improvement and Total Quality Management experience
- Prior exposure to DevOps, CI/CD toolchains such as Jenkins, GitHub, Bitbucket, Terraform, Ansible
- Solid understanding of cloud computing, networking, and storage principles with focus on either AWS or Azure
- Professional training/certification using enterprise related tools and technologies: Oracle or other related industry database/ SQL certification(s); AWS Certified Database Specialty; Azure Database Certification (DP-300); Azure fundamentals certification (AZ-900)
- Additional familiarity of/ experience with AWS Redshift, Postgres, MySQL, Snowflake, ETL tools (Informatica, DataStage etc.) a plus
- ITIL Foundation certification a plus
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, or other related field, or equivalent experience preferred
We invite you to subscribe to our monthly and quarterly newsletters to stay up to date with the latest job openings as well as resources and tips for job seekers here.
Research shows that women and other underrepresented groups apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria of a job posting. If you have passion and intelligence, and possess a technical knack (even if you’re missing some of the above), we encourage you to apply.
Bounteous is focused on promoting an inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate the different viewpoints and experiences our diverse group of team members bring to Bounteous. Bounteous does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Bounteous is willing to sponsor eligible candidates for employment visas.