At Picnic, we’re revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our innovative and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re a passionate Database Engineer we’re offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our scaleup environment.
In a nutshell
Are you a Database Engineer who loves to support others to get the most out of their database usage? Your skills will be part of the foundation of Picnic’s promise, working alongside other teams to help them build the most performant, most reliable solutions for our customers.
What you’ll do
- As part of the Infrastructure team, you’ll use your expertise to help support all product and engineering teams to efficiently and effectively use and operate databases at scale.
- Investigate performance challenges, implement optimizations to further improve resource usage
- You’ll work on a broad set of projects, focusing on reviewing new deployments and advising on improving existing deployments
- Create tools and processes for effective database management usage and data protection
- You’ll be responsible for sharing knowledge and learnings throughout the company
Technologies we use
- PostgreSQL on AWS RDS and VMware
- Repmgr, haproxy, keepalived and barman
- MongoDB on MongoDB Atlas
- Kubernetes via Helm
- ElasticSearch, Python, Terraform and Ansible
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent
- At least 3 years of relevant industry experience working as a Database Engineer
- Experience with PostgreSQL on AWS RDS and on-premisses with MongoDB on MongoDB Atlas
- A profound understanding of relational and non-relational databases
- Proficient in automation with Terraform and Ansible
- Advanced knowledge of SQL schema modeling and evolution and a knack for identifying shortcomings in designs and query access patterns
- Fluency in English (Dutch is not required)
For Bonus Points
- Excited by all the new cloud tooling and experience with related technologies to Picnic
Every expert was once a beginner!
You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
You’ll work in an awesome startup environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga, to climbing!
We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self, as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
- Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
- In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
- From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
We care about your health and wellbeing. As such, we currently support online interviews and remote onboarding (learn more about the process here).
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.