This is a remote position.
We are currently looking for a Deputy Director who will lead design for one of our Federal Teams.
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to meet the needs of our users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government. We’re looking for people with an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to improve how the government serves people. If you thrive on change and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
The Deputy Director is responsible for managing design practice leaders within our Experience Design team. They will draw on the values of Ad Hoc’s broader design practice to build the culture, practices, and systems that support our design team members who focus on experience design. Some examples of the types of work these teams support include the development of service blueprints, high-level UX strategy, and design artifacts that support the production of our digital services. In addition, the Deputy Director will help execute on initiatives that support Ad Hoc’s design organization at large.
Work on things that matter
Working at Ad Hoc means putting your time and skills towards helping the government better serve the public. Our teams connect Veterans with services designed for their needs, help millions of people access affordable health care, and support important programs like Head Start. As we work with agencies to deliver critical services, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to bring the best people onto our teams and give them the freedom to create a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to home decor), our company culture acknowledges all the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s welcomed.
What matters most
Ad Hoc values acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We leave our egos at the door to learn from our mistakes and improve the process for the next time. We’re a team that loves the challenge of government-size projects and loves to see our customers succeed. We build small, inclusive teams to bring the best of consumer technology to the problems of government.
What you’ll do as a Deputy Design Director
- Articulating best practices and approaches for the experience design team
- Supporting the growth of Ad Hoc by helping to evaluate and shape growth opportunities across our business units, and by serving as a subject matter expert and contributor to proposal responses and similar activities.
- Supporting design hiring and staffing processes for Ad Hoc’s programs that staff experience design positions; helping to identify and connect individuals within right opportunities given program needs, career interests, and skill sets
- Overseeing the technical and career growth of experience designers (UX, UI, visual design), including hands-on coaching and mentorship as needed; ensuring they stay engaged with the work and have opportunities for career development
- Building community for designers, including venues for cross-pollination of knowledge across Ad Hoc’s various programs
- Serving as a “Manager of managers”; coaching direct reports (principal designers) on people management
- Assisting the Creative Director in building out a cohesive design organization at Ad Hoc, including engaging with process and policy.
Some basic requirements
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust security clearance
- Some of our available roles are on federal contracts that require a degree or additional years of experience as a substitute
- Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment
Tips for applying
- Include a portfolio of 3-5 UX-focused work samples with your application. We want to understand how you think and solve problems. Clearly explain your process and the reasoning behind the decisions made, include visual artifacts, and identify both your role and the impact you had. Your portfolio can be anything from a website to a slide deck. How you build it is up to you.
Ad Hoc is a great place to be. Our benefits package includes:
- Company-subsidized health, dental, life and vision insurance
- Use what you need vacation policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year
- $2,000 continuing education/annual conference attendance stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.