This is a remote position.
This position will be open and accepting applications until 5 PM EST on April 30, 2021.
Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the government better serve people through modern technology and product development practices. Some examples of the services we support include Healthcare.gov and VA.gov, both of which are used by millions of people. We help implement modern technologies that government agencies are increasingly interested in, bringing in best practices as we do: among other things, this includes API design, implementation, and governance; platform infrastructure for developers; responsive, accessible websites; and mobile applications.
Our company has a substantial presence at CMS, with over 80 engineers across 8 programs developing API programs, public-facing websites, and technical infrastructure. We’re growing quickly, and looking to add a Deputy Director who can help build the culture, practices, and systems that will enable us to deliver impact at scale in the federal health space.
This role reports to the VP of Engineering, and involves directly managing engineering practice leads on Federal Health programs.
- Articulating technical best practices and approaches within the Federal Health space
- Shape Ad Hoc’s strategy at CMS based on opportunities and needs at the agency
- Support the growth of Ad Hoc by helping to evaluate and shape growth opportunities at CMS, including proposal responses, as a technical subject-matter expert
- Supports engineering hiring and staffing processes for Ad Hoc’s Federal Health programs (granular staffing requirements still developed & executed at program level)
- Supports inter-program staffing, by helping to identify and connect individuals with the right opportunities given program needs, career interests, and skill sets.
- Supporting the technical and career growth of engineers in our Federal Health programs, including hands-on coaching and mentorship as needed. Making sure they stay engaged with the work and have opportunities for career development.
- Building community for engineers, including venues for cross-pollination of knowledge across Ad Hoc’s Federal Health programs.
- Serving as a “Manager of managers”: coaching direct reports (program engineering leads) on management.
- Assisting the VP of Engineering in building out a cohesive engineering organization at Ad Hoc, including engaging with process and policy.
Successful candidates will have experience managing engineering teams and coaching technical leads. Willingness to engage with organizational processes and policy is a must, including identifying and building new organizational structures.
The ability to coach and lead others through influence is essential, as is comfort working in a heavily matrixed environment. Experience working in a client services organization (i..e, consulting or a digital product agency) is preferred, as is knowledge or interest in working with government.