Posit (formerly RStudio) creates software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open-source data science toolchain used by millions worldwide, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means. We’re a Certified B Corporation®, which means we’ve written our open-source mission into our corporate charter. Our commercial products support this work, which helps data scientists manage their work and share the results with others.
Quarto is a multi-language, open-source toolkit for seamlessly creating, sharing, and collaborating on production-quality websites, reports, presentations, and scientific articles. Jupyter has already made much of this possible, addressing many of the human challenges of data science. By combining Jupyter with Quarto, you can easily create and share the output format and styling you need for any situation: accessible websites, books, blogs, presentations, PDFs, Office documents, and more. Quarto also enables publishing notebooks within existing content management systems like Hugo, Docusaurus, and Confluence.
Learn more about Quarto at https://quarto.org
About the Open Source group
The Open Source group aims to provide a seamless end-to-end data science experience, and to help data scientists learn the software engineering skills they need. We develop and maintain open source packages for data science and scientific communication, including R packages like the tidyverse, tidymodels, and sparklyr, Shiny for R and Python, and Quarto. The goals of the Open Source group are not only to provide a seamless end-to-end experience, but also to help users learn and flourish. This involves developing and disseminating documentation and fostering a welcoming community. We value kindness, humility, openness, and resourcefulness in our work and interactions with the community and each other.
About the role
The developer advocate role is dual purpose — you will be both a developer and an advocate for the developer and user community. While the primary focus is outreach and communications, we also expect that you’ll become an expert in Quarto and contribute meaningfully through GitHub issues, discussions, and PRs. You’ll also work closely with the Quarto team and articulate user needs and work with other developers to implement these needs into bigger features.
The Quarto developer advocate position will be focused on connecting with the community of Quarto users and developers to share knowledge and updates, listen to community needs and interests, and be responsive and foster community around Quarto in R, Python and other languages. As a data scientist yourself, you will connect with the data science community, understand pain points, and identify and help create relevant documentation resources. You know how to use content creation tools, including Quarto, markdown, video and github to produce materials to guide data scientists and highlight relevant use cases for many different domain segments of the community.
Things you’ll own
- Sharing Quarto with the Jupyter community, developing Jupyter oriented resources, gathering feedback and sharing with the development team.
- Creating spaces for, and being responsive to, a diverse and welcoming community of users and developers.
- Manage Quarto social media accounts and work with the Quarto team to post relevant content and respond to Quarto questions and feedback through social media.
- Identifying and developing other social media channels than our existing channels if relevant.
- Creation of code samples and demo documents that provide examples for users.
- Sharing and disseminating Quarto resources through blog posts, video and social media.
- Become a product expert. Steep yourself in the experiences that users have when building with Quarto and integrating it with our other tools, and champion ease, clarity, and transparency with developers and in creation of community resources in multiple spoken languages.
Things you’ll help with
- Responding to questions from our community, including responding to questions on GitHub and in Posit Community.
- Triaging issues on GitHub, attempting to reproduce issues, adding details, tagging, and prepping for additional development.
- Advocate for the needs of our data science community and bring their feedback back to the Quarto team.
- Work with other open source developer advocates to develop a strategy for developer advocacy across open source at Posit.
Things you’ll teach the team
- Effective, inclusive and accessible social media engagement practices
- Community building and facilitation approaches
Things you’ll learn
- Working on highly visible open source tools in the public
- New approaches to developing and editing community resources
- How our open source developers work
- As much about our open source tools as you care to learn
- Experience as a data scientist and with scientific publishing
- Experience working with Jupyter notebooks
- Experienced user of git and GitHub
- Experience in community development and management
- Experience working with online communities, global or multi-lingual communities a plus
- Ability and interest in taking initiative to make decisions and develop community opportunities
- Familiarity with content creation tools, such as for video or web
- Strong communication skills
Working at Posit:
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community’s interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- All full-time employees are eligible for 401k enrollment starting on day one.
- After six months of employment, Posit matches 50% of employee contributions up to $10,250 annually.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional quarterly stipend of $375 to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Are you excited about this role but not sure if your experience aligns with every qualification in the job description? That’s okay. We know multiple perspectives are essential for a thriving organization and we’d still love to hear from you!
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.