At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app, Providers, to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of Providers (previously called Fresh EBT here, here, and here). Now we’ve expanded further into the financial services space, offering the best banking option for low-income Americans. Because of these developments, we’re looking to bring on a stellar DevOps Engineer who is excited to support a growing start up.
Propel’s DevOps Engineer will improve automation of workflows, infrastructure, security, code testing and deployment, with the goal of enhancing our developer experience. We’re looking for someone who is self-motivated, curious, and excited to support fellow engineers! This is a wonderful opportunity for an investigative and creative mind because you’ll balance security, tool implementation, and testing with roadmapping and policy development. If you’re passionate about infrastructure and impacting the lives of Americans with limited income, this is the role for you!
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- An immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (or work remotely!)
What you’ll do:
- Manage cloud infrastructure using tools like Terraform and Ansible
- Provision and support our services with Postgres, Redis, Kafka & Elasticsearch
- Enhance the software development experience and ensure that we’re building a great support system for engineers
- Audit our system and determine new tools and services that may better fit our needs
- Diagnose and investigate systemic issues
- Facilitate conversations around DevOps roadmap and coordinate DevOps initiatives
- Build a device grid to run appium tests
What you have:
- 5+ years experience in DevOps or Systems Engineering
- Prior experience working with AWS technologies
- Prior experience using Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, Istio, Helm, Docker, Postgres, Redis, and/or Linux
- Prior experience coding with Python
- Prior experience using monitoring tools, using Datadog is a plus
- Problem solving and investigative skills: You really enjoy debugging complex production issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills: Team members rave about the clarity of your manuals and the kindness you employ whenever there is a technical hiccup
- Curious nature that implores you to stay on the cutting edge of DevOps best practices
- You connect with our mission of improving the livelihoods of low income Americans