Director, Business Development and Strategic Partnerships
Babylist is looking for an experienced Business Development Leader to scale revenue through affiliate, media, and influencer partnerships and by unlocking new growth initiatives. The ideal candidate is a strategic leader with experience in managing and scaling high performance business development and sales teams in fast pace, growth stage startups. You’ll oversee fast-growing sales targets and will report to the VP of Revenue.
Who You Are
- You love building high-performance teams and will do whatever it takes to make your team successful
- You excel at setting and achieving ambitious goals for yourself and your team
- You’re never satisfied with the status quo – you are always looking for the next opportunity to improve performance
- You love empowering and supporting your teams in solving complex problems
- You communicate clearly and effectively across teams and levels and maintain cross-functional relationships with stakeholders and teams around the company
- You are a partnerships expert, adept at finding and building relationships throughout the industry
- You can turn incomplete, conflicting, or ambiguous inputs into solid action plan
- You can balance a data driven methodology with user-first intuition
- You focus on results, and have a bias for action
What You’ll Do
- You will lead revenue growth for all non-eCommerce channels, primarily ad sales and affiliate
- You will create and implement general partnership opportunities that support Babylist users and growth such as strategic investments, influencers, and new businesses
- You’ll manage a team of business development and partnerships managers who are responsible for developing partnerships products and identifying, closing, and managing partnerships
- You will work closely with our acquisition marketing and merchandising teams to develop cohesive partnership opportunities and packages that support their growth goals
- You’ll develop new ad products and processes, working closely with editorial, design, data and product teams to prioritize and implement them
- You’ll mentor and scale our partnerships and business development team to continuously grow our ad sales and affiliate marketing revenue
- You’ll own the long-term growth strategy to ensure hitting business goals sustainably and effectively
- You’ll join the leadership team and be a thought partner in company goal setting and strategic planning
- You’ll develop, meet, and exceed sales and revenue targets
What You’ve Done
- You are an incredible manager and know how to empower team members. You have 5+ years experience in managing, coaching and scaling high-performance marketing teams.
- You have a proven track record in fast-growing companies
- You are directly responsible for scaling a $40M+ ad sales and affiliate business
- You have developed a new $10M+ ARR business or ad product
- You have a solid reputation and contacts in the media, affiliate, and influencer industries
- You have a minimum of 15 years experience in business development and sales. Experience with ad sales and affiliate marketing strongly preferred
- You have deep expertise in ad sales. You have closed multi-million dollar and multi-year partnerships. You can get hands on when needed to help your team – you know what it takes operationally day in and day out to bring the strategy to life.
- You have developed sales teams and can operate across business development, sales, account management, and ad operations functions
- You have deep understanding of the media, affiliate, and influencer industries, including key terms, industry trends, and agency relationships
- You managed influencer, media, affiliate marketing, and other partner programs to drive revenue and user growth.
- You have experience in collaborating closely with cross-functional stakeholders on the brand, creative, product and merchandising teams
At Babylist, we help expecting parents get exactly what they need for the arrival of their new baby. Founded in 2011, Babylist is a popular baby registry in the US. We serve millions of families every year to help them make the journey to parenthood less overwhelming and more fun. Families can add any item from any store, including products Babylist directly sells, to their registry, alongside meaningful gifts like babysitting and meals they can’t buy in stores. We have built a trust with parents all throughout the U.S. as their go to partner in planning for their new baby. Each month, millions of gifts are given from the platform by 700k+ loved ones.
The baby retail market is underserved and Babylist is well positioned to be the single iconic and trusted brand that helps new families through this monumental life stage. In the US alone, 4 million babies are born every year and we have over 1.5 million new families signing up to create a baby registry yearly. And with robust data analytics and business insights behind our core registry product, Babylist has seen 100% growth over the past 4 years. We have sustained profitability and are ready to grow the business.
Babylist’s headquarters are in Oakland, CA.
Why You Will Love Working at Babylist:
- We have a real impact on people’s lives
- We’re passionate about our users and we genuinely appreciate them
- We work at a sustainable pace for long-term success (yes, we’re profitable)
- We are growing and have meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We’re a best-in-class technology and data-driven business
- We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
- We have smart, experienced leadership that is always open to new ideas
- Competitive pay
- 401(k), FSA plans and disability insurance
- Flexible, fully paid parental leave policy
- We work at a sustainable pace. In general we don’t work late or on weekends and most employees WFH every Wednesday
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.