Elastic is a search company built on a free and open heritage. Anyone can use Elastic products and solutions to get started quickly and frictionlessly. Elastic offers three solutions for enterprise search, observability, and security, built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol ESTC. Learn more at elastic.co.
About the team
Elastic Cloud is the fastest growing part of Elastic’s business and dedicated to solving customer problems in the cloud at planetary scale. We operate across all top 3 public cloud providers, in dozens of regions across the world, hosting mission critical workloads for customers in every industry.
The Cloud and Engineering Productivity team is responsible for the systems, tools, and processes that enable Elastic to build and operate our world-class SaaS offering. We build and operate the CI/CD pipeline, release our ECE and ECK products, deploy new releases to production, build and deliver SDKs and CLIs for both customer and internal use, build the tooling used by our SRE team to operate our global services, develop our QA frameworks, write our documentation, help with production operations, and provide guidance and leadership across Cloud and across the company as to our end-to-end development lifecycle. We are a team of hands on engineers who love to get things done.
Right now, we are looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to head up, grow, manage, lead, mentor and further develop our fully globally distributed team of cloud specialists. In addition, that special someone who can help lead our transformation to make our engineering processes across the entire company leading with Cloud. Are you ready to make an impact?
What you will be doing:
- Lead, retain, develop, hire and mentor high-performing and diverse teams across your organisation.
- Be an authority across Elastic in how we develop software for Elastic Cloud
- Act as a key member of the senior leadership team for Elastic’s Cloud business
- Understand our company strategy and help guide our Cloud product’s direction to realize it
- Work across teams at Elastic to ensure that we are able to deliver our solutions in production with scale and reliability
- Guide your team to ensure good engineering practices are being followed
- As a team and company we value excellence, speed, collaboration, respect, mentorship, and open feedback. You’ll encourage and promote these values.
What you will bring along:
- You’ve built CI/CD (continuous integration and continuous deployment) systems for large scale public cloud SaaS applications
- You’ve successfully driven significant change across organizations
- You know how to ship and deliver both software and services
- You’ve grown and led a large team of engineers, and managers (50+ people)
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ego-free — we are here for the success of the team and the company
- Empathy, transparency, and a good sense of humour
- Experience leading distributed teams
What would be great in addition:
- Experience as a hands-on software engineer so you understand the core principles of the engineering work
- Experience supporting customer problems and communication
- Experience or interest in speaking/presenting at tech conferences.
- Experience in handling on-call schedules (PagerDuty, VictorOps, etc)
- Experience at Open source projects and companies
- Experience in communication and organization in large, distributed teams
Additional Information – We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving – We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.