At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions or find new jobs, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. Our goal is to create a community and a company where every developer feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world’s developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing. Our clientele includes Google, Microsoft, Bloomberg, and many other Fortune 500 names.
As our Director of Data Platform, you will be responsible for leading the data engineering and warehousing organization, creating innovative solutions that enable data at scale at Stack Overflow. We are looking for a technical leader who’s passionate about making data easy and accessible in a product organization, and building internal products, tooling, and practices to accomplish that goal. You’ll formulate, socialize, and execute our data strategy, enabling our teams to push our products to the next level and being a key individual in setting the data culture for Stack Overflow.
What you’ll do:
- Develop, drive, and execute the long term vision and strategy for the analytics and data platforms at Stack Overflow
- Standardize data quality measurements by establishing metrics, building tools, and creating processes
- Deliver Stack Overflow’s data platform that powers product experiences and downstream consumers of product and business data
- Work closely with data privacy and data security teams to help guide data privacy policies and comply with data protection regulations
- Manage, lead, retain, and grow a team of Data Engineers, Analysts, and Scientists
What you’ll need to have:
- 5+ years in a similar role with experience building and leading data teams
- 15+ years in the data engineering space with technical understanding of streaming data strategies, entity modeling, governance, security, retention, and related technologies
- Experience with big data and streaming data approaches in large data scale organizations
- An understanding of Stack Overflow and other Stack Exchange network sites
- Ability to make decisions at high velocity
- A passion for helping teams work more productively as well as experience with change management
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Flexible hours
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Great office w/ espresso bar, games, and free daily lunches
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Transportation reimbursement
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our office in New York office, and enjoy additional benefits like all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our office (re-opening September 6, 2021, but with no requirement to return to the office for the rest of the year), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products
Legally, we need you to know this: Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this: We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.