RStudio’s mission is to provide the most widely used open source software and enterprise-ready professional products for statistical data-analysis, package management, and sharing data products at scale. Our tools further the cause of equipping everyone, regardless of means, to participate in a global economy that increasingly rewards data literacy.
We’re a fast growing company with a goal of making a lasting and meaningful contribution in the world. The R community is at the core of who we are and what we prioritize every day. It’s the support of the R community that allows us to develop solutions to help data scientists do their best work.
Like solving problems and having fun? If you enjoy knowing that your work is highly visible and mission critical, even better. RStudio is searching for a Director of Marketing to drive new customer growth and existing customer expansion faster and more cost-effectively by telling engaging stories delivered via integrated Marketing campaigns.
What you will be doing:
The Director of Marketing is responsible for developing and implementing the marketing and digital strategy and to ensure that it aligns with overall RStudio goals and objectives, with overall accountability for delivering high-quality and timely strategic marketing and digital services.
The ideal candidate must have deep experience in several (though not all) of the following areas of marketing: Inbound marketing, email marketing, online advertising and ad networks, website analytics, SEO/SEM, direct mail, social media, events, and marketing operations. In addition, the individual must have superior analytical skills, be a team player, energetic, and able to juggle a variety of time-sensitive projects.
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee development, coordination and monitoring of integrated marketing and digital strategy plans in support of ongoing multi-year strategic plans and priorities. Ensure all initiatives meet quality, time and budget guidelines specified. Work with team members to maintain the highest levels of quality, customer service, and collaboration in developing, implementing, and evaluating comprehensive outcomes-based marketing and digital plans (including advertising, media buying, agency management and selection, digital media, and outcomes reporting).
- Collaborate with Product Marketing in the development, production, distribution and evaluation of all marketing deliverables, traditional and online content and materials to be sure they are accurate, clearly communicate the intended image and brand message and meet the marketing goals.
- Retain, develop, manage, and maintain a high-performing marketing and digital team, by facilitating training, development planning, coaching, and managing performance of direct and indirect reporting relationships.
- The marketing team covers:
- Paid Digital Marketing– Search, Social and Display
- Organic Social Media & Reputation management
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)-on-page, technical and off-page element management
- RStudio.com, the web experience, optimization, and conversion
- Direct mail, email, chat, and other engagement tactics
- Events– 3rd party events and conferences, our annual user conference
- Marketing operations– people, processes, technology, reporting
- The marketing team covers:
- Manage the day-to-day operations of Marketing & Digital Strategy, including all human resources, budget-related, project management oversight, and other issues. Assess team challenges, client management situations, and/or organizational dynamics and proactively employ appropriate actions to quickly resolve problems and ensure projects/objectives are achieved.
- Provide sound business justification for marketing and digital investments (based on market and consumer trends, best available data, audience and expert insights, past campaign data, and best practices); present recommendations for approval. Develop and track metrics for monitoring investment success.
- Stay abreast of and interpret market and industry trends, competitive analysis and digital analytics; combined with a deep knowledge of traditional; digital, web, mobile and social marketing and communication channels to develop and implement meaningful marketing strategies and plans to help increase and retain customers and meet objectives.
- Collaborate with Product Marketing and Web Development on the design, appearance and content of the website and relevant portals in conformance with contemporary best practices and informed by customer feedback and testing. Work collaboratively with the web development and Operations teams to assure technical capabilities of the web and portal systems are delivered in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Clearly establish targets for each marketing and digital plan or campaign, and monitor in a disciplined fashion to demonstrate value-added outcomes. Continually engage with team members to monitor the effectiveness of marketing initiatives and find ways to achieve business and marketing objectives more efficiently and effectively, regularly communicating the results to clients and the wider marketing and communications team to issue recommendations to refine future marketing and customer relationship strategies.
- Deepen the relationship with customers by creating or collaborating on communications that foster dialogue, and provide a demonstrably richer experience – allowing customers to be closer to our brands including but not limited to Social Marketing (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter), Video, Blogs, Forums, Chats, links, etc.
- Develop, disseminate, update and monitor marketing and digital policies and procedures to ensure all marketing and digital materials and activities meet legal and ethical guidelines.
- Responsible for building Existing Customer (base) engagement strategies focused on maximizing the value our customers get from their investment in RStudio. Key measures being impact on churn and expansion rates
- Is a strong voice on the leadership team for our Go to Market strategy and execution of the company plan
- Work closely across the company (with Sales, Product Marketing, Events, Operations, Solution Engineering, and Product Management) to make sure we’re raising awareness, driving engagement, and delivering revenue
- Establish and manage KPIs for impact on ACV, Pipeline, and Engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related field (Master’s/MBA preferred)
- 8-10 years of digital media and demand generation management [digital marketing, digital media, search engine marketing (SEM), programmatic, display advertising, paid social, video advertising, media planning, web and marketing analytics, A/B split and multivariate testing, data management platform (DMP) usage, multi-touch attribution]
- B2B SaaS experience
- Detailed knowledge of Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Google Tag Manager, Google Adwords, Display Advertising, SEO tools
- Experience with marketing application development or data analytics infrastructure software
- Knowledge of R and/or Python and RStudio is a significant plus.
- Excellent teamwork and collaborative skills and the ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple work streams and projects simultaneously
- Scaled (or helped to scale) Digital Marketing at an enterprise SaaS company through a data-driven, systematic Marketing approach
- Expert at developing integrated marketing campaigns targeting Large Enterprises, leveraging a complex marketing mix across the buyer’s journey. Think ABM.
- Proven track-record of understanding target audiences and creating marketing campaigns that engage, inform, and convert
- Solid knowledge of content management systems, marketing automation, SEO, SEM, and social best practices (organic and paid)
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
- The ability to think strategically, act swiftly and nimbly, and execute tactically
- Strong understanding of current marketing concepts, strategies, technologies, and best practices and an innate curiosity about new technology and exploring its role in marketing
- A positive disposition and a can-do attitude—here, everyone has a voice and we’re not afraid to roll up our sleeves and figure stuff out, from printer jams to campaign tracking
- Experienced. You thrive at the intersection of big-picture strategy and detail-oriented execution. Data-Driven. You like to take risks and try new things but also appreciate data and getting the basics right. You love testing and tweaking communications materials to see what works best.
- Creative. You enjoy thinking creatively about how to build partnerships, target supporters and create content that engages and inspires people to join our movement.
- Get Things Done. You are entrepreneurial and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. No task is too big or too small. You follow-through, take initiative and get things done. You also value time and positive ROI; you can identify what should be outsourced, delegated or done in-house.
- Leader. Engaging, systematic, and confident to develop strong followership on the team and across RStudio
- Player. Humble, hands-on, and experienced to build and launch larger/complex fully integrated campaigns
- Coach. Collaborative, supportive, and fair – but also data-driven and demanding (e.g., marketing and management skills, business acumen, comfortable with metrics and data)
- Smart. Understands the big picture (market, customers, company) but also knows and cares about the details
- Hard working. Get things done and never wastes a moment.
We are a lean, distributed team, passionate about making R and open source data science tools accessible to people all over the world, regardless of economic means. We are an organization that values talent, humility, and hard work over hierarchy.
- We are remote friendly and many people work from home or a coffee shop. We also have an office in Boston and Seattle
- Competitive salary with great benefits including medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered), 401k matching, a home office allowance, and a profit-sharing system
- Pick your hardware — we want to equip you with what you need to do your best work
- All our full-time employees are given a one time allowance to outfit their home office
- We have a flexible environment with excellent benefits and a “take what you need” vacation policy
- Positive, passionate culture working with a world-class team committed to data science and the R language
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.