This role is accountable for performance and talent management including talent development strategies, high potential and succession planning and partnering with the Director of Training and Facilitation to develop traditional leadership and learning programs that contribute to achieving overall WMF’s goals and objectives. In addition, this role is also accountable for organization development strategies encompassing culture and engagement.
For optimum success in this role, business acumen, a strategic mindset and building team strength through vision and purpose will be essential.
You will be accountable to:
- Lead the design and implementation of robust talent management strategies, processes and practices that align with current and future business needs to ensure the business attracts, develops, and retains enterprise talent
- Support and drive culture initiates and objectives as required that deliver on WMF’s goals and objectives
- Create and implement practices that align with WMF’s culture and values to increase employee engagement and drive organizational performance
- Lead succession planning processes and techniques to understand organizational bench strength as it relates to Top Talent, High Performing Talent, Critical Talent and Critical roles along with succession strategies to build our talent pipeline
- Lead the pursuit of operational excellence and deploy learning best practices, keeping the organization moving forward with the most current and appropriate methodologies, and ensuring the requisite skills reside in the learning team
- Oversee the development of a Performance & Talent Management System to ensure user experience is optimal and enable talent metrics and analytics to drive fact-based talent decisions
- Develop and implement change strategies related to improving/strengthening organizational culture and alignment to WMF’s values
- Partner with Director of Learning & Facilitation to develop development programs
- Participate and partner as a leader in the broader T&C team; ensuring efforts are coordinated across all T&C functions in order to deliver a seamless people experience
- Manage and work with external vendors and consultants as required
- Manage Talent Specialist
Skills and Experience:
- A University degree in Human Resources or Organizational Development and Adult Learning Certificate, or equivalent
- Previous experience leading programs related to employee engagement, talent management, developing leaders, succession planning, performance management, culture and values, change management, diversity & inclusion
- 7+ years experience leading multi faceted teams, with direct reports at the leader level, and demonstrated skill in people leadership, development, and relationship building
- In depth knowledge of innovative learning technologies including social, mobile, micro learning and gamification
- Excellent communication skills (reading, writing, verbal) in English
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills and executive level presentation experience
- Experience in strategic business planning, forecasting and budgeting
- Ability to build strong work relationships and have a strong client service orientation
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies and leading Agile teams
- Conceptual thinking with a natural curiosity for continuous improvement
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Coaching certification is an asset
- 10-15 years of solid career progression
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.