Position Title: Director of Platform Engineering
Reports to: Chief Technical Officer
Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Effective Date: 8/4/2022
nZero is a carbon account and management solution that gives companies, communities, and other organizations the accurate emissions data they need to make smart decisions that benefit the health of the planet. Unlike other carbon management offerings who rely on third-party data and opaque averages, nZero gathers accurate, first-party, contextual data into a comprehensive view, making it simple for organizations to pinpoint energy opportunities within their operations, easily implement carbon reduction actions, and spend smarter along the way.
nZero’s growing team has deep expertise in energy policy, human-centered design, and data science. We are a passionate, semi-distributed team collaborating in an agile process—pairing developers, designers, & product owners to build products that meet our customers’ core needs.
The Director of Platform Engineering is responsible for leading the Platform Engineering team, which runs the cloud infrastructure (AWS) which underlies the company’s data services, data science and product engineering teams. As Director of Platform Engineering, you are expected to lead and manage the team of platform engineers, architect new platform components and services, provide strategic planning to handle our growing scale, and provide communication of Platform Engineering’s vision to upper management. In addition, there will be times when being an individual contributor is required.
- Systems thinker: You are able to look at the “big picture” of system functions and requirements and make value decisions with everything in mind. You like understanding and solving large, complex problems.
- Passionate: You care about the quality of the things you produce and the problems you solve. At nZero, we are a passionate team who care deeply about the climate challenges we are tackling.
- Inclusive: You understand that accepting and integrating a diverse set of views creates growth and opportunity.
- Managing the Platform Engineering team; handling day to day operations, managing direct reports; setting agendas; running stand-up.
- Collaborating with other engineering teams to develop a platform which meets the needs and helps ease development for those stakeholder teams
- Leading architecture and setting future directions for the nZero platform
- Providing department plans and status reports to upper management
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering/management
- 5+ years of experience developing and architecting distributed/cloud systems (AWS preferred)
- 3+ years of experience in engineering management
- Proficiency with Python
- Experience building on and utilizing distributed data storage solutions at scale
- Strong communication and leadership skills
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.