Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code. Software has driven a lot of technological innovation, and yet today, only a small fraction of the world can contribute to this progress by writing code. We believe that enabling more people to code will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive better and faster technological progress that benefits everyone.
The problem developers face today is that the amount, complexity, and value of code is increasing quickly, and it is hard to keep up. We call this problem Big Code.
Sourcegraph helps developers at our customers and in open source, find code, understand code, and automate changes to that code at scale in massive codebases.
Why this job is exciting
As a Director of Product, you will lead our exceptional high agency all-remote team to achieve ambitious objectives to make our search experience more user friendly, scale our code search to millions of repositories, build the semantic graph of code, and enable developers to automate batch changes in massive codebases. Our generous compensation philosophy, and your ability to hire from anywhere, will give you the unique opportunity to continue attracting the best talent in the world.
Within one month:
- You will start building a trusting relationship with your direct reports and peers.
- You will understand the what, why, and how of the projects that your teams are working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- You will build a better understanding of our high agency value by reading Turn the Ship Around and sharing your thoughts about it with your manager and your team.
Within three months:
- You will have a trusting relationship with your direct team and are able to connect their work to their own career goals.
- Your peers in product and engineering are enthusiastic to work with you because you reliably follow-through with your commitments.
- You will be able to communicate the 1-year vision for your teams, and the sustainable execution and hiring plan to get there.
Within six months:
- You will have improved planning, communication, hiring, and onboarding processes to help the team scale as we grow.
- You will celebrate the fact that your org has delivered key results in support of their objectives for the year.
- Sourcegraph Cloud provides an excellent search experience over 5.5 million repositories.
- Sourcegraph Cloud has the global semantic graph of code in 1+ languages.
- Batch changes is a successful and growing product.
Within one year:
- You will have hired and retained exceptional people to make our team even more representative of the world’s population.
- You will collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your org should work towards.
- You will develop a clear technical and execution strategy to achieve that next set of goals.
You are an experienced and visionary people-driven product leader who has the skills to effectively drive progress toward our Global Code Graph organization’s ambitious and technically challenging objectives. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
- You have relevant domain knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: search, indexing, information retrieval, relevance.
- You have led a team of multiple product managers.
- You have owned the product strategy for multiple complex products.
- You have experience growing (through both hiring and career development) high quality and diverse teams.
- Your working hours overlap with 8am-4pm PT for at least 10 hours per week so we have time to collaborate synchronously when necessary.
- You have experience working on developer productivity tools as personal projects or as part of your job.
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen with our Recruiting team.
- [30 min] Hiring Manager screen with Christina Forney, VP, Product
- [1 hr] Topgrade interview
- [3 hrs] “Onsite Interview”
- [1 hr] Working session with Christina Forney, VP, Product and Nick Snyder, VP, Engineering.
- [45 mins] Team interview: Meet with your team/direct reports (Maria & Malo)
- [45 mins] Peer interview: Meet with a Product Designer (Rob) and an Engineering Manager (Loic)
- [30 min] Values interview: Someone on the Sourcegraph team you will not be working directly with
- [30 min] Final interview with Beyang Liu (CTO)
- Any other informal conversations with people who you would be working closely with but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
We have a fully documented interview process in our handbook: https://about.sourcegraph.com/handbook/product/roles/interviews/director_product
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.