Hi, I’m Natalie, VP of Customers at Customer.io. I’m looking for a Director of Technical Support to join our team.
Our customers are at the centre of everything we do and the way that we support them is something that the entire team is passionate about. Prospects call out our support as their reason for being attracted to us, customers cite their experiences as reasons to renew their contract, and word is continually spreading across our market that Customer.io is a leader in support and experience.
We leverage our support as more than just a customer-facing resource. Feedback from our support team drives our Product and Engineering teams to make changes and improvements – we want our customers to drive to direction our product goes in. The experience we provide pushes our retention numbers up. The support we give provides account growth, which boosts our revenue. Our support experience is not regarded as just a standard fixture for SaaS, or a cost center – it’s our strength, and as VP of Customers, it’s my ultimate passion. If this aligns with your outlook on support and experience, read on:
As the Director of Technical Support you will be leading our existing email support initiatives and developing our live chat support from its infancy to excellence. We’re looking for someone with a strong background in support leadership, who can coach our talented team of Technical Support Engineers towards ambitious quality and ticket mitigation goals for our entire customer base.
On a day to day, you will have a keen and analytical eye on the ticket queue and conduct regular touch points with the team to ensure the program is on track and executing at a high standard of quality. You will constantly be on the lookout for ways to mitigate ticket volume, through cross-functional work with our Product and Engineering teams.
As the leader of the Technical Support team, you will be responsible for the training and development of individual contributors to ensure that they are performing at high levels in areas such as quality<>quantity balance, product expertise, tone of voice, and cross-functional communication. You will initially have the three existing team leads and our Deliverability Services Manager reporting directly to you, with opportunity to hire and/or develop team members per our hiring plan for the year. You will have the opportunity to assess our existing process, and revamp areas to improve on efficiency, customer experience, and the health and happiness of the rest of the team performing this vital task for the business.
You will report to the VP of Customers, and work with them to effectively set your strategy; other heads of department such as our CTO, VP of Product, VP of Engineering will also be instrumental resources and directors for you to work with on alignment of priorities and focus. You will lead the established support strategy execution with your experience and drive for success. You should also be ready to take escalations from any customers who need special attention or more hands-on technical assistance in order to remain satisfied with our platform.
You will be in a key position to hear feedback from customers, be it positive or negative. You’ll be ready and willing to take this to the VP of Customers, as well as our Product and Engineering teams to help them continually develop based on customer insight.
Today, our TS team is powered by Help Scout for ticketing and live chat, Github for bug and feature request logging, and (coming very soon) InSided for our Community support offering. While we mostly interact with each other through Notion and Slack, it’s not uncommon for us to jump on a Zoom pairing session to talk through specific cases or general process matters. As an incoming Director, you will also have the opportunity to implement tooling that you feel would help the team perform at the next level.
Interested in growth opportunities? So are we. We’re in search of folks who want to develop professionally as Customer.io grows.
What we are looking for:
- Located in The Americas
- Experience in a support environment for a SaaS product
- At least 5 years of experience in a support role; 2 years experience in a management role
- Experience managing a team that handles daily case volume from 60 -100; customer value from $150 MRR up to $30k+ MRR
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be motivated with a self-starter attitude
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment
- Willingness to experiment with your process, and collaborate with leaders across departments
- You love striving for success
- You enjoy helping others with your experience and take pride in their development.
- You see every ticket as an opportunity to improve the customer experience.
- You take ownership of delivering results and get satisfaction from getting things done.
- You’re ready to bring new ideas and energy to a high performing team
- You’re not afraid to ask questions if you’re confused about how something works, or why it is set up in a certain way.
- You’re open to very regular feedback loops with members of the Executive Team and Leadership Team. You realise that our customers’ satisfaction is vital to our success, and your impact spreads further than just your team.
- You understand written communication is not always flawless and assume the best intentions during interactions with customers and your team. Empathy is one of your strongest attributes.
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 3,800 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, and push notifications. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $135,000 – $160,000 USD depending on experience and subject to market rate adjustment.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO – we recommend 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 12 weeks paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- 401k retirement matching – up to 5% dollar for dollar match to retirement contributions
- Health and wellness allowance – Up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – Up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – Up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – Up to $300 USD per month for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development – Up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, or workshops – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Company retreats twice a year – we typically get together IRL every spring and fall, but most recently had an amazing virtual retreat!
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete an employment and education verification authorization form (which allows us to verify your job history and education listed on your resume) as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process:
- 30 minute video interview with Symone, Recruiting Manager
- 45 minute video call with Natalie, VP of Customers
- 30 min call with Matthew, CTO and Kitt, VP Engineering
- 60 min presentation to up to 6 heads of department about what success looks like for a support team and how you can effectively impact the product as well as our customers.