ConsenSys is the leading Ethereum software company. We enable developers, enterprises, and people worldwide to build next-generation applications, launch modern financial infrastructure, and access the decentralized web. Our product suite, composed of Infura, Quorum, Codefi, MetaMask, and Diligence, serves millions of users, supports billions of blockchain-based queries for our clients, and has handled billions of dollars in digital assets. Ethereum is the largest programmable blockchain in the world, leading in business adoption, developer community, and DeFi activity. On this trusted, open source foundation, we are building the digital economy of tomorrow. To explore our products and solutions, visit http://consensys.net/.
About Protocol Engineering
ConsenSys Quorum is an open source protocol layer that enables enterprises to leverage Ethereum for their production blockchain applications. Businesses can rely on Quorum to provide the enterprise-grade networks they need to unlock value with blockchain. On top of Quorum, you can integrate product modules from ConsenSys, third-party vendors, or your own in-house development to build high-performance, customizable applications.
About the role
As a Distributed Systems Applied Researcher you will work on:
- Designing, specifying and verifying distributed systems by leveraging formal method techniques.
- Conducting theoretical and practical analysis of the performance of distributed systems.
- Designing and analysing incentive systems.
- Collaborating with both internal and external customers and the teams responsible for the actual implementation.
- Researching new techniques for designing, analysing and implementing dependable distributed systems.
- Publishing and presenting research results both internally and externally.
- Masters degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related area.
- Strong mathematical and computer science foundation.
- Experience in analysing the correctness and security of distributed systems.
- Familiarity with the application of formal method techniques.
- Comfortable with “reverse engineering” code in a number of languages including Java, Go, Rust, etc.
- Keen communicator, eager to share your work in a wide variety of contexts, like internal and public presentations, blog posts and academic papers.
- Capable of deep and creative thinking.
- Have a drive for excellence and quality.
- Open to learning and collaborative by nature; willing to give and receive feedback.
- Passionate about blockchain technology in general.
- Able to manage the uncertainties and ambiguities associated with working in a remote-first, distributed, decentralised environment.
Bonus Points for:
- PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related area.
- Experience in the analysis of incentive systems.
- Track record of scientific publications.
- Previous experience in remote or globally distributed teams.
Don’t check all of the boxes? Don’t sweat it. We’re passionate about building a diverse team of humans and as such, if you think you’ve got what it takes for our chaotic-but-fun, remote-friendly, start-up environment—apply anyway. While we have a pretty good idea of what we need, we’re ready for you to challenge our thinking on who needs to be in this role.
Why join ConsenSys?
Here are some of the perks of being part of a unique organization like ConsenSys
- One of the most recognized tech companies in the blockchain ecosystem globally. A work experience at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your future career. ConsenSys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
- The forefront of a revolution. We fundamentally believe blockchain is a next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society. You can be a part of building the digital economy of tomorrow and radically transforming our society for the better.
- A dynamic startup environment with deep roots. We are one of the earliest blockchain companies and a leader in the space. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem.
- Deep technical challenges. Blockchain technology is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler. There is much to be done before these platforms can scale to the order of millions or billions of users. We are building the tools, infrastructure and applications l that are pushing the technology forward.
- Continuous learning and improvements. You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas and frameworks from your peers and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game.
ConsenSys is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ConsenSys is aware of fraudulent recruitment practices and we encourage all applicants to review our best practices to protect yourself which can be found here.