As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
At Vox, we take audiences from curiosity to understanding and we’re looking for an Editorial Director of Explanatory Audio to oversee Vox’s strong and growing portfolio of explanatory audio content, including the teams producing our weekly science show, Unexplainable and our recurring seasonal narrative series.
You’ll also lead an exciting new segment of Vox’s audio team: developing and launching new shows and expanding Vox’s audio footprint in evergreen, explanatory journalism. At Vox we believe an important part of our mission is to cover what’s important, not just what’s new. This division of Vox podcasts will be charged with telling the stories we need to understand ourselves and our world that are overshadowed by the news of the day – from history to health and poverty to personal finance. The Editorial Director will work closely with the VP of Audio, the Editorial Director of News Audio, our Creative Director and our colleagues from around the company to develop pilots and Vox’s next entries into a growing slate of explanatory series.
We’re looking for someone who believes in creating audio magic and isn’t afraid to experiment with form and function. So while you should have a keen sense of quality audio programming and experience creating and leading audio projects that reach a scaled audience, we’re also looking for a leader who will push (and pull) teams to test the boundaries of the medium to create richly-produced content that fits Vox’s mission of meeting curiosity with understanding.
Experience working with journalists who may not have an audio background and overseeing show launches, revamps and high-profile projects would also be valuable. Comfort working in a fast-paced environment, ability to pivot quickly and comfort leading strategic project teams are also key qualities we’re seeking. Experience shaping narrative work, managing reporters, hosts and producers would be valuable.
Vox values thinkers, creatives, and obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person — not the right résumé. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
What you’ll bring:
- Desire to do things in new and different ways and a hunger to help us define Vox’s explanatory voice in audio.
- An entrepreneurial, experimental approach to project development
- A DIY maker’s mindset to digging in and creating new projects – taking each from pilot/proof of concept through an internal go/no-go vetting process.
- Ability to coach and develop host talent and show concepts
- Great editorial judgment and instincts
- A track record of developing series and episodes that draw on diverse perspectives/source lists
- Strong collaborative skills, as well as the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively
- Great team player that is able to both coach direct reports and work collaboratively across teams and departments (with staff who do not report to you)
- Interest in explanatory journalism, big ideas, and driving understanding
- Experience successfully growing podcast audience and business goals
- Comfort with an ever-changing set of priorities and challenges
What you’ll be doing:
- Experiment with new content by piloting new podcast show concepts at the helm of small teams on a project by project basis.
- Set tone of experimentation and outside the box thinking for both team, including some non-audio collaborators
- Work with Vox newsroom and audio teams to define new projects
- Coach producers and audio engineers who cut, mix, master and publish the shows – but also being able to do this yourself when needed.
- Ensure shows meet Vox’s high journalistic and creative standards
- Collaborate with Vox journalists, show hosts and talent and help them develop their on-air skills and ideas
- Seek and evaluate pitches from outside creators and potential co-production partners
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.