Elastic is a free and open search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real-time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co.
Do you want to work on distributed search and analytics software which impacts the lives of millions of people? We’re not interested in your previous job title. Instead, we are looking for bright people with a deep knowledge of Java, algorithms, and concurrency and who love to take on new challenges.
Right now, we are on the lookout for a talented Java Engineer to join our Elasticsearch team and focus on core features of Elasticsearch – such as Index Lifecycle Management, Data Streams, and the Elasticsearch-Hadoop connector. You can work fully remote from your home or (almost) anywhere in the world.
What you will be doing
- Evolving the core features of Elasticsearch (the server)
- Evolving the Elasticsearch-Hadoop connector. In particular, the Spark integration.
- Designing and implementing new horizontally-scalable features and APIs in Elasticsearch
- Understanding and contributing to surrounding layers such as replication and search
- Optimizing internal data structures used within Elasticsearch and Elasticsearch-Hadoop
- Tackling difficult issues, including performance or concurrency issues, and proposing solutions
- Collaborating in the open with the Elasticsearch team, Elastic Stack users, and other supporting open source projects
- Partnering with our support engineers on the harder problems
What you will bring along
- Strong skills in Java, Scala, and the JVM, including concurrency concepts and the standard library of data structures
- Experience developing Spark applications running at scale.
- Willingness to dive into new issues and ask for help when you need it
- Experience deploying and operationalizing software in production
- Experience troubleshooting complex issues.
- Build system experience in Gradle
- Experience maintaining open source libraries.
- Experience running Hadoop systems at scale.
Additional Information – We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving – We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.