We’re looking for a Lead Engine Engineer to join our team at Hypixel Studios, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 25+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
Join us on our mission to bring players together in an inviting, immersive world where they can make their mark. Hytale empowers creative expression across a spectrum of experiences including sandbox adventure, social play, minigames, and creativity using a suite of powerful and accessible tools.
As a Lead Engine Engineer, you will support your team through a combination of coaching, direction-setting, and hands-on engineering. Your team will design, prototype, and implement the fundamental systems which underpin Hytale’s game engine tech.
Who you are:
- Immersed in Engine Games: You have experience with and a passion for creating low-level, frameworks that can be used to build data driven, scalable, multiplayer gameplay systems.
- Adaptable: You are comfortable with switching gears between optimization, break/fix, and development and understand the need for rapid re-prioritization.
- Calm under pressure: You exude calm in even the toughest of situations. When things get spicy, you work as a cooler to help the team reach a solution.
- A Force Multiplier: You understand how to design a system that can operate effectively for a whole team. You understand how to empower engineers on your team to learn, grow, and scale.
- Performance Aware: You know and care how your code affects performance, frame rate, and memory usage
Some of your role:
- Manage a team of 3-6 engineers through a combination of coaching, direction-setting, and hands-on engineering
- Work closely with Product Owners and Project Managers to prioritize, break down, and select work for your team
- Work closely with gameplay and systems engineers and transform their feature requests into flexible systems.
- Architect, prototype, build, and maintain low level engine systems in high quality C++.
- Create detailed and highly-accessible documentation for both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- 6+ years of professional programming experience in C++.
- 4+ years working in a game engine (commercial or proprietary).
- 2+ years as a manager, tech-lead, or in a similar leadership role.
- Strong understanding of engine specific architecture and low level engineering concerns such as performance, frame rate and memory usage.
- Experience working with Agile delivery.
- Experience implementing in ECS systems or Data-Oriented Development.
- Experience embedding scripting systems in a game engine (e.g., Lua, etc).
- Experience working on voxel world games and/or sandbox games.
- Experience working on Games-as-a-Service (GaaS)
We can offer:
- Competitive salary
- Annual Performance Bonus (APB)
- Quality of Life increases
- Christmas closure
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally
- A stable and secure work environment
- The ability to work remotely