You’ll be joining a world class team building industry leading tools for frontend developers. As an engineering manager you’ll be directly responsible for some of the most exciting projects in the frontend ecosystem.
We are a fast growing, growth stage startup with a strong focus on product, a culture of shipping and great customers such as the BBC, Shopify and Adobe. You’ll be joining our team and helping to bring our engineering process up to the next level whilst consistently delivering exciting tools that impact the entire industry.
Our engineering team leads the development of both Storybook, a ubiquitous frontend development tool, and Chromatic, a platform designed to enable a “component-driven” workflow, which our team genuinely and passionately believes is the future of frontend software development.
- Lead our open-source and commercial engineering teams to consistently deliver projects that meet our goals on a schedule you’ve committed to.
- Meet regularly with with our distributed engineering team to manage tasks and help unblock problems.
- Prioritize features and develop a realistic schedule in collaboration with both our product team, tech leads and individual developers, then take responsibility for executing that plan.
- Develop and document our engineering culture as we grow our team.
- Mentor and support the growth of the engineers you’ll be leading.
- 5+ years working as an engineer in web development.
- 2+ years of experience in a leadership role.
- The domain knowledge to quickly understand problems faced by the most advanced UI development teams (our customers).
- Great interpersonal skills, with the intuition and empathy to effectively lead a team of folks across timezones and physical locations (our engineers are based both across the US and Europe).
- Excellent technical communication skills and enthusiasm for writing things down.
- Timezone: US East Coast to US Pacific (you don’t have to live in the US).
Why work here?
Build the tools behind the biggest sites. Our products help companies develop UIs for hundreds of millions of people.
Have a big impact and learn a ton by working across open source, cloud services, and developer experience. You’ll ship products you can be proud of.
Now is the best time to join. Storybook is one of the fastest growing open source projects with wide adoption. We’re profitable and scaling quickly with customers like Shopify, Adobe, and BBC.
- Be respectful
- Take pride in the work
- Invest in each other
- Inspire others to grow
- Outcome over ego
- Don’t overthink it
- This is supposed to be fun
- Work from anywhere
- Annual retreats
- Health benefits for you and yours
- Parent and family-friendly
- Home office setup stipend
- Learning stipend
- Unlimited vacation
Everyone talks to customers
The best way to serve customers is to talk to them. We schedule one day a week for you to get to know our users first-hand. You’ll learn about their challenges, answer questions, implement improvements, and support their success.
Our top secret business model
Build an open source project to scratch our own itch. Build production-grade cloud services that complement the open source project. Use that money to build more open source stuff. Along the way, make UI development faster and more satisfying for everyone. About us
Join an inclusive team
We’re an equal opportunity employer. We don’t discriminate based on race, nationality, belief system, sexual orientation, gender, age, military service, marital or partnership status, family or parental status, disability or any other status protected by law. View other openings