FireHydrant is building the only reliability focused platform. The FireHydrant platform includes Incident Response, Status Pages, and more, so you can take control of your complex system, reduce downtime, and work better together. We’re a Series B company with around 80 employees (and growing!) who sit across the United States. Check out our blog to learn more about us.
About the role
As the leader of the Service Catalog team, you’ll join engineers building the foundations of our service ownership offerings, from service catalog and dependency mappings to integrations with third-parties like Backstage, GitHub and other systems emitting change data from customer environments. You’ll work with internal and external customers ensuring we’re delivering solutions that help organizations of all sizes deliver reliable experiences to their customers, built upon a foundation of consistent and efficient incident response processes.
The work you’ll do
- Recruiting, mentoring, and managing a fantastic team of engineers to deliver on our vision.
- Own mission-critical product workflows and services to exceed customer availability and performance expectations
- Lead product engineering teams to achieve predictable release cadences with an emphasis on safety, resiliency and high-availability
- Work with product leadership and engineering staff to ensure engineering resources are invested appropriately to solve upcoming scalability, availability and performance challenges
What we’re looking for
- A passion for people and a genuine human-centered focus – you care about the people on your team, helping them achieve their goals, and enabling them to do incredible work.
- Empathy for the immediate impact of on-call responsibilities on engineering teams and a bias for pragmatically investing technical resources to maintain a healthy work-life balance
- Demonstrated experience delivering highly available services, infrastructure or distributed systems in a B2B or B2C SaaS environment
- Commitment to leadership and growth in a distributed organization — FireHydrant is geographically diverse within the Continental US but these teams are early candidates for international expansion
- The ability to adjust and adapt to shifts in system performance or scaling challenges
- A product ownership mindset to inherit existing processes and systems and refine them to ensure they’re exceeding expectations
- Strong communication, advocacy skills and a developer relations mindset
- Belief in the long-term vision of an incident response platform and how companies of all maturity levels and verticals can adopt and benefit from it
What to expect
In one month, you’ll
- Inherit an existing, functional team
- Understand the FireHydrant & incident response space and technical stack of their team
- Establish a rapport with your extended team through regular 1:1s with your team members, engineering manager peers and product managers.
In three months, you’ll
- Hire and onboard new team members
- Reviewing and helping execute individual reports’ performance plans
- Leading the execution of their team’s deliverables and lead the retro process to improve results going forward
- Work with Product Managers to determine your team’s commitments for the next quarter.
In 6 months, you’ll
- Have completed a talent review process with your team
- Lead the delivery of a product roadmap item, from ideation to release
- Participate in the roadmap refinement process and create alignment on deliverables with team members
In one year, you’ll
- Have direct impact on the growth of our engineering organization through hiring fellow managers
- Become a resource throughout the organization to help other product teams become successful, grow, etc
- Build the FireHydrant brand through developer advocacy, contributing to the company blog, participating in industry roundtable discussions, give conference talks
Life at FireHydrant
- We’re remote-first with employees around the US, with our physical headquarters in NYC (Union Square)
- 1-2x per year we will gather in-person as a company; as teams we gather another 1-2x per year depending on the safety of such a gathering, and have virtual events throughout the year
- We collaborate through Slack, Zoom, Notion, and Google Workspace
- Kind candor – we expect honesty delivered through kindness, first and foremost
- Transparency & equity – information is shared openly in Slack channels; we welcome ideas and contribution regardless of role or experience level
- We value building trust, acting with integrity and continuously improving
- 100% employer-paid health, vision and dental premiums for the employee and 75% of dependents
- Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum requirement of three weeks off per-year, with sustainable working hours and healthy work/life balance
- Home office stipend: get your workspace set up in a way that works best for you
- 401k match
FireHydrant believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and we strive for transparency within our organization and the industry. We set our salaries at the 75th percentile of pay for the San Francisco market using compensation data from hundreds of companies at our stage. Additionally, everyone in a given role is paid the same without adjusting for locality. The salary for this position is $190,000 (Eng Manager) or $215,000 (Senior Eng Manager) depending on leveling.
- FireHydrant requires that all newly hired employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations provided based on medical need or religious belief.
- All employees must be able to show authorization to work in the US.