What We’re Looking For:
2U and edX have joined together and are dedicated to building the world’s leading online learning platform. As the Engineering Manager for the Learning and Pedagogy team, you’ll be at the forefront of bringing new capabilities to the edX online learning experience. Your team will be instrumental in scaling the online learning platform that enables millions of users to have a personalized and engaging experience while continuing their education
This is a cross-functional product development team that works to optimize the platform’s educational experience such as online exams, grading and learner feedback. The team works closely with product management, product design (UX/UI), and members of other engineering teams. This group leverages both site infrastructure and integration standards to build and integrate with tools that amplify learning experiences. This team will work on both frontend user experience, and backend microservices.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Leading, coaching, evaluating, and mentoring a team of 5 software engineers
- Recruiting and hiring new team members
- Partnering with a product manager to understand customer needs; identifying, defining, and scoping solutions; and achieving organizational goals. Through the process, foster strong relationships with cross-functional peers in Product Management, Product Design, Support, and Data Analytics to unlock force-multiplying collaboration.
- Building a learning, agile, and high-performing team
- Identifying opportunities to accelerate the delivery of value to customers and implement solutions that span people, processes, and technology
- Stewardship of quality user experiences by participate in a on-call rotation and proactive management of security and data privacy
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Experience working as team leads or tech leads who coached their team members
- Previous hands-on software development experience
- Engineering delivery with organizational sensing and monitoring in place
- Demonstrated experience with Agile methods and practices
- Architecturally experienced with microservices, infrastructure resilience, and DevSecOps
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Key mindsets: customer-centric, growth, site reliability oriented
- A willingness and ability to move forward through high ambiguity and uncertainty
- Decide with courage and lead by actions
- Thoughtful organization and prioritization of your own time to maximize your impact
- Microservices Architecture
- Git, open source software, test driven development, Jira software suite
- Python, Django, frontend frameworks, docker, kubernetes, AWS services
- Splunk, New Relic, Opsgenie
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is $100,000.00 with potential bonus and equity eligibility. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.