We are looking for an engineering manager to lead the team that is building the backend platform that enables our product engineering teams to iterate quickly and safely. The team’s mission is to create leverage for and accelerate the velocity of other engineering teams by promoting and championing consistency and simplicity across all backend code, and by building shared tools, libraries, and scalable infrastructure for common use cases.
This team is currently called our “Cloud” team because it is focused on building and launching the first version of Sourcegraph Cloud. In the short term, you will help the team balance work on Sourcegraph Cloud as well as engineering infrastructure. In the medium/long term, you will figure out how we transition to a state where we have a dedicated backend platform team while ensuring that our cloud product is sufficiently owned and maintained.
- Facilitate an inclusive and cohesive team environment where everyone is happy, motivated, and productive.
- Model, teach, and reinforce our company values and our guiding engineering principles.
- Ensure the team has clear incremental goals that are documented and are always up-to-date.
- Regularly communicate the team’s progress toward their goals as well as changes in team goals to appropriate stakeholders.
- Support and coach teammates to grow in their careers and fulfill their responsibilities.
- Grow the team in a sustainable way so that the team can accomplish more over time.
- You have 2+ years of experience directly managing at least 4 full-time software engineers. We expect you already know how to lead a team.
- You have done some amount of coding in the past 2 years (for example: at work or on a personal project) to keep your skills up-to-date. We expect that you are able to review and provide valuable feedback on code, architecture, and designs.
- You are able to clearly communicate your past accomplishments verbally (example: in an interview) and in writing (examples: in your resume, in your answers to our application questions).
- You have experience breaking up complex technical problems into smaller achievable milestones that the team can iterate on.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook
- Intro calls
- 1h Engineering leadership.
- The interviewers will be Nick Snyder and another Engineering Manager except Tomás.
- 1h Technical experience – We ask you about your past work and accomplishments.
- 1h Team collaboration. We ask you about how you work and communicate in a team setting, and how you handle tricky situations.
- 30m Beyang Liu (CTO)
- 30m Quinn Slack (CEO)
- 1h Engineering leadership.
If we want to move forward after these sets of interviews, we will setup 30-minute calls to meet any members of the Cloud team that weren’t already an interviewer. These calls are informal and don’t have a script.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.