BenchSci is a remote first organization. At this moment, we are welcoming applicants from Canada, the US and the UK for this position.
BenchSci’s vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world’s most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We’re a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are currently seeking an Engineering Manager to join our rapidly growing Data Team. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, Data & DevOps, you will be responsible for planning, delivery, mentoring, and coaching data engineers. In this impactful role, you will work closely with key stakeholders across the organization and be instrumental in cross-team priorities and management. The most successful candidates for this role will be experienced software engineers who have transitioned to leading individual engineers and delivering complex data engineering solutions.
- Own and drive execution of product and technical roadmaps
- Take a leadership role in our recruiting, hiring, and onboarding processes
- Provide mentorship and carry out regular 1:1 meetings with direct reports
- Help improve the processes and patterns of data engineering at BenchSci
- Engage with ML, Science, and Product teams to facilitate the delivery of complex projects with high quality in a timely manner
- Analyze, plan, and develop requirements and standards in reference to upcoming company projects
- Be a standard-bearer for culture who actively works towards building a cohesive team united by common engineering principles
- Delegate tasks and manage all technical issues within your team
- Work with your team to continuously drive improvements in quality and productivity
- Be an organizational leader, defining and contributing to cross-team initiatives and vision
- 5+ years of experience working as a professional developer
- 2+ years of experience working as an engineering team manager
- Experience in a leadership role providing technical direction to less senior staff
- A proven track record of delivering complex development projects
- Solid experience with relational databases and data modeling
- Production experience with data processing tools such as Spark or Beam
- Software engineering experience in Python
- Well-versed in Agile practices
- Strong leadership, engineering skills, and communication skills
- The ability to understand and explain complex systems, and independently learn new technologies