In the 1950s, global trade changed for good. The invention of the standardized container suddenly meant that transporting goods across the world became affordable. And with that, paved the way for globalization and global wealth. But contrary to the container, most surrounding processes have not been standardized nor innovated—and are still frustratingly complex, manual, and error-prone.
That’s why our ambition is to use technology to simplify the logistics of global trade, making the processes around the container as simple as the container itself. We do that by providing a neutral infrastructure that connects all logistics companies to remove friction and create economic opportunity.
Engineering Manager (f/m/d)
Our Engineering teams build the product suite to lay a new digital infrastructure for container operations globally. Seeing great success in our first products already, this shows the scale by which we want to change the industry. While building out new products we are continuously enhancing our existing ones such as our marketplaces to cover the full operational backend of a container’s journey.
As an Engineering Manager, you support our growth by leading & scaling one of our agile Engineering teams of 6-8 Software & QA Engineers in close collaboration with Product, Design & Architecture. You’ll be joining a Series B scale-up of 250+ colleagues, hence you’ll also have high impact on the operational excellence, strategy and culture within the engineering department.
In addition to being strong in communication, smart, creative, and naturally people-driven, our ideal candidate thrives on ambiguity, complexity, and the chance to build a stellar high quality, high output team while successfully managing all relevant stakeholders needed.
Your responsibilities in a nutshell
- Lead a high-performing team of driven engineers to create maximum business impact by extraordinary quality & output
- Build a culture of trust, collaboration, and accountability within the team, taking ownership for consistently achieving individual and team objectives
- Partner with stakeholders such as Product, Design & Architecture for achieving a balance of business needs, technical foundation work & new initiatives to ensure scalability and high output
- Work closely with our Talent team & Head of Engineering to define hiring objectives and scale your team with the right talent
- Provide coaching and support with the goal of developing the skills of the team, ultimately developing individual careers, and creating an environment for growth
What we’re looking for
- Several years of experience in a web-focused Engineering role building highly scalable applications
- You are a great communicator (our company language is English) and listener – you are passionate about the xChange mission and inspire and motivate the people around you
- First leadership experience is highly appreciated but no must-have if you bring the drive & people-focus to build and manage a high-performing team
- Intellectual horsepower – you think strategically and bring the ability to foster pragmatic decisions on highly complex topics
- You have a high personal drive paired with a strong business sense – you are excited about creating and scaling efficient Engineering processes to create high-impact products based on your team’s mission
- You feel at home in a fast-growth environment and understand the benefits and the challenges of it
What we have to offer
- Ownership from day one & direct impact on the success of our company
- A dynamic and international team with ~50 nationalities across our 250+ team members & extremely flat hierarchies
- A highly scalable product with a proven product-market fit ready to change the industry & do something good ♥
- A great working atmosphere with an open-minded and collaborative culture – plus a team of highly motivated & enthusiastic colleagues who can’t wait for you to join
- Major degrees of freedom backed by an experienced team – it is a highly autonomous role well suited to someone who is a self-starter with natural leadership and coaching abilities
- A fast-paced work environment and complex intellectual challenges from day 1
- Goes without saying: Regular team events and of course a wide variety of fruits and drinks in the office 😉
- Attractive compensation – including a competitive equity package