Merit’s verified identity ecosystem helps trusted organizations across government and enterprise solve critical real-world problems in workforce development, emergency services, licensing, education, defense readiness, and other sectors. Thousands of trusted organizations – including government agencies and nonprofits – use Merit for digital verification of credentials, licenses, training, and skills.
Using Merit, organizations can capture and certify people-data in containers called merits, and permission them to individuals. All of an individual’s merits are stored in one place, providing people agency over their verified data, giving people secure access and selective sharing with other organizations.
By connecting organizations and individuals, the Merit Platform supports a robust verified identity network that serves as a source of truth and trust for entire industries; bringing visibility, liquidity, and trust to people’s data.
Merit has been widely adopted and used by numerous organizations:
-The Florida Division of Emergency Management partnered with Merit to provide a fast, secure, paperless solution for the verification and time-tracking of thousands of volunteers and paid medical professionals assisting with the statewide COVID-19 vaccination efforts. As a result of our work together, FDEM was named a StateScoop 50
Award winner for the State IT Innovation of the Year.
–BARBICIDE® partnered with Merit to provide digital credentials to beauty professionals worldwide, exceeding two million digital, portable, shareable BARBICIDE® merits sent to date through Merit’s verified identity platform. The merits are granted for completion of BARBICIDE’s widely utilized courses on safety standards and best-practices.
–Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 professionals across more than 40 industries that are required to have a license to work. With Merit, those licenses are now digital, accessible, and easily verifiable by consumers and businesses.
Merit’s values are more than just words on paper – they permeate the company’s brand, culture,
products, and even individual actions. Our values are:
1. Building a network of truth and trust. Merit is modeling the real world of Verified Identity into a digital one, built on merits. Society values truth, and merits represent truth.
2. Everyone is a friend. We see opportunities everywhere because Merit has endless ways to grow the already vast and self-propagating Verified Identity graph.
3. A rising tide lifts all boats. We think about entire industries and how to make the most impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, our employees, partners, and everyone on Merit should succeed.
4. Measure to meaningfully improve. Work is measured by output, not vanity metrics, and the things we do measure have goals.
5. Use Merit to build Merit. The strength of the Merit network, platform, and company compounds with the addition of every partner, consumer, and employee.
The RoleWe are looking to hire an experienced Engineering Manager to join our exceptionally talented and rapidly growing Org Portal engineering team. As the Engineering Manager, you will lead and grow a team of highly skilled engineers delivering one of the most important user facing applications for our next-generation, data-first Merit platform. You will collaborate with product owners and architects to manage the product roadmap and ensure timely delivery of features with the highest level of quality.
Our backend is implemented as microservices in Golang. We run on Google Cloud Platform and use Postgres, Snowflake, Kafka, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes and Docker.
Merit is a startup environment where you will be expected to roll up your sleeves, take initiative, and get creative about finding solutions to challenges. This is a full-time, 100% remote role
– Work with the Product Owners to understand and influence the roadmap for the Org Portal, including it’s long term future as an App Marketplace to be used by individuals and organizations
– Flawlessly execute on the roadmap and hit all the promised delivery dates and ensure continuous delivery of features & bug fixes to production
– Drive planning and distill product roadmap into actionable tasks for engineers
– Place heavy emphasis on design, testing and code reviews and balancing high quality with high throughput
– Actively participate in design, architecture and code reviews
– Keep the team motivated by providing challenging work, clarity in direction, career management and mentorship with regular one-on-one coaching
– Ensure that the team is operating at peak performance without burnout and encourage positive work-life balance
– Create and maintain a healthy candidate pipeline by working with our internal recruiting team and raising the bar with every new hire
– Establish healthy feedback loops to continuously improve our Agile Scrum based processes
– Constantly track and measure various metrics to meaningfully improve velocity and quality
– 4+ years in management roles, responsible for at least 6 engineers
– Experience in building high quality applications that are delivered on both Web and Mobile devices
– Expertise in at least one high-level, strongly typed programming language such as Golang, TypeScript, etc.
– Experience in building highly distributed, scalable, low latency systems using open source technologies is a huge plus
– Thorough understanding of Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation, Build Automation to enable the rapid delivery of working code
– Pragmatic and understand tradeoffs very well
– Balance technical leadership with strong business judgment
– Strongly opinionated but respectful and collaborative; self-motivated and have strong interpersonal & communication skills
– Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.