Quick Take: Axios is a company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We’re hiring an Editor to develop newsletter coverage aimed primarily at local audiences.
Why it matters: The entertainment editor is responsible for overseeing a broad array of Axios coverage that informs readers about how to navigate their downtime through Smart Brevity.
Go deeper: This individual will cover topics ranging from local music, arts, concerts, restaurants, bars, local seasonal travel and sports. The editor will shape coverage into smart features about local entertainment for readers and curate the best from local data sources.
- Overseeing a team of reporters with different expertise, the entertainment editor will work closely with the managing editor for local-national hub to develop entertainment content at scale for Axios local audiences. This role will report into the Managing Editor for The Hub.
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- Passion for entertainment and knowledge of aspects of local culture, from music and arts to nightlife scene and top restaurants.
- At least 3 years editing experience and passion for Smart Brevity
- Creative thinking and entrepreneurial mindset
- Experience launching news products and overseeing content coverage
- Managerial experience overseeing reporters, providing sharp editing and front-end assignment guidance
- Highly organized and able to juggle multiple deadlines at once
- Collaborative and strong communicator; able to work across many parts of the newsroom.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund,” which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.