DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 87% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $970 million for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose. one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through our dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 “Best Nonprofit to Work For” by the Nonprofit Times.
The People team’s mission is to ensure a positive, productive, and equitable experience for all employees. We’re thoughtful about all dimensions of staff diversity and we’re committed to fostering a sense of belonging. We hold ourselves particularly accountable to racial equity because of how it’s directly tied to our mission. We take a data and feedback-based approach and pride ourselves on fostering an innovative and mission-driven culture. We strive to be innovators and leaders in our field. Our work is more important than ever as DonorsChoose transitions to be a Hybrid Workplace.
About the Role
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about building and enhancing an inclusive and equitable workplace where employees feel respected, welcomed, supported, and valued. You’ll be responsible for strengthening our diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives and frameworks across the organization, especially those that drive racial equity outcomes. Through partnership with org-stakeholders, you’ll help to identify, design, and support learning and engagement opportunities that meet the evolving needs of the business for staff at all levels. Through an equity lens, you’ll contribute perspective, insight, and knowledge that will build on employee sense of belonging. You’ll also lead our Fellowship and Internship Programs, and support program participants through the entire employee lifecycle, including coordinating professional development opportunities. You’ll report to the Director, Equity & Experience.
In this role you will:
- Build and scale org-wide initiatives and communications that support our equity strategy and mission.
- Partner closely with our Employee Resource Groups and support affinity spaces to drive employee engagement and belonging.
- Support the design and implementation of equity trainings and frameworks that develop and advance staff competencies.
- Manage and coordinate our 1-year Fellowship program, including recruitment, onboarding, programming, off-boarding, and ongoing support of program participants.
- Track, measure, and maintain metrics to make data driven decisions that inform overall strategy.
- Collaborate across teams to consult on internal equity and inclusion strategies.
Who you are:
- You have at least 4 years of experience building and leading inclusive and equitable environments for people.
- You are all in on our organization’s equity focus, and you’re deeply passionate about combating inequity (including socioeconomic equity, racial equity, and beyond) in US public school education.
- You have a deep passion for creating an inclusive and equitable work environment and world. You seek out new information to stay up-to-date and knowledgeable about industry trends.
- You’re process-oriented, extremely organized, and skilled at juggling multiple projects. You’re excited about building and improving processes. You remain curious in all that you do.
- You’re a skilled project manager that is effective at orchestrating complex work that requires input from multiple players, proactively identifies opportunities and risks, and executes without an ego.
- You have the ability to influence and build collaborative relationships with key stakeholders
- You’re an effective communicator (verbal and written) with strong interpersonal skills. You communicate with empathy and clarity.
- You are a natural people-developer. Whether it’s formally through management or informally through coaching and mentoring, you have a knack for helping people flourish within organizations.
- You’re self-aware, listen courageously, and demonstrate vulnerability.
- You demonstrate sound judgment, particularly in sensitive, complex, and ambiguous situations.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 10 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Hybrid Workplace and Other Details
In this role, you’ll have the option to work a flexible hybrid schedule in our NYC office, or to work fully remotely from CA, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TX, or WI.
This role will require occasional travel (4-6 times per year) for staff retreats and trainings. All expenses for work-related travel will be covered by the organization.
DonorsChoose is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to, Steve To, Director of Equity & Experience.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.