MO helps government leaders achieve their mission by designing intuitive and sustainable customer experiences that build trust and improve satisfaction. We use human-centered design to modernize and transform customer and employee experiences. We’re a small team of interdisciplinary creatives with mission, impact, and service to others deeply rooted in our DNA. We’re naive enough to believe we can change the world and bold enough to take the chance to do it.
We combine design thinking with agile delivery methods to drive visionary, human-centered products to market. Our custom solutions range in size from completely revamping an entire application to refreshing small pieces of a larger product. Everyone at MO directly impacts the direction and success of the company, and we own our roles. We value integrity, curiosity, and courage, and we operate collaboratively and with accountability while consistently challenging each other in the pursuit of excellence. At MO, we delight in creating one-of-a-kind products and experiences. Your imagination is the only limit on what you can do here!
Are you looking to make an impact? We are looking for a Finance Controller to lead, manage and be accountable for the day-to-day operations of a MO’s finances. This is a leadership and management role and will be accountable for Leading, Managing and being Accountable for multiple functions and business processes including Finance, Pricing, Contracts, Accounting, HR, Admin, IT, and Office Management.
In your work and through your finance leadership you will improve MO’s capacity and capability to deliver health outcomes for 9-22M+ Veterans, Caregivers, Survivors and Family Member by reducing barriers to accessing care and benefits at VA for projects including improving a single-sign-on identity management system and omni channel service design for identity proofing, and championing Login.gov’s adoption within the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Additionally, we are looking for this person to be a leader and cultural steward of MO’s values and across MO’s backstage (i.e., back office) team, responsible for defining best practices and approaches that support a best-in-class CX / digital services company—think Silicon Valley in Washington, DC. You’ll help MO build a diverse team and an inclusive culture that supports our people as we grow while driving accountability across the company.
Successful candidates will have a track-record of building and sustaining high-performing finance and back offices teams at scale. The willingness to dive in, learn what we have, when needed build new systems and processes—sometimes from scratch, is essential, as is leading through influence within a matrixed environment. Previous experience working in a client services organization (i.e., consulting or a digital agency) is helpful but not required. A passion for the mission and civic design is a must have.
What You’ll Do
- Accountable as the keeper of MO’s accounting and regulatory compliance
- Responsible for all accounting functions and bookkeeping
- Responsible for managing AR, AP, general ledger and collection function including timely and accurate invoicing across programs
- Responsible for management of state employment accounts (i.e., UEI, STU, etc.) for remote first company
- Responsible for managing information technologies, insurance, sales tax reporting, and federal income taxes, along with outside audits from CPA firms
- Manage the workflow within a MO’s finance and accounting functions, to include the review and posting of transactions within QBO
- Responsible for month-end closing and issuance of financial reports; automate reporting using apps API’s into QBO (e.g., Fathom)
- Responsible for Accounting Policy and Procedure development and in optimizing Internal Controls
- Responsible for managing Operating Budgets at the Corporate level and Program level (e.g., Estimated at Completion)—including consistent management reporting and cross company stakeholder alignment on financial performance
- Develop, monitor and optimize cash flow forecasts; provide daily to weekly updates to executive management
- Monitor Indirect Rates against budgets and partner with executive management to address issues
- Calculate Intercompany Allocations and assist with management of company Time and Expense systems
- Ensure compliance with applicable FAR, DCAA, GAAP and CAS requirements
- Support tax inquiries from 3rd party CPA firms for tax preparation
- Support reviews and audits from 3rd party CPA firms
- Ensure compliance with FAR, DCAA, GAAP and CAS requirements
- Conduct and support 1408 assessments and accounting ecosystem assessments
- Support Incurred Cost Submission preparation
- Provide Proposal pricing support and help to create pricing responses to RFPs and RFQ’s for both TOs and IDIQs/BPAs; as needed assist with Forward Pricing and Provisional Billing Rate Proposals
- Perform other Accounting Special Projects as needed (e.g., ERP modernization)
- Manage external Finance and Contract vendors on day-to-day basis
- Assist with the onboarding of new employees
- Participate in and report on functional activities in internal leadership team meetings
- Approve timesheets and participate in performance reviews for direct reports
- Review and escalate AR/AP for approval for cascading levels of budget approval in organization
- Be the eyes and ears for MO to help identify gaps in other back-office areas
- Over time, lead, manage and be accountable for daily supervision and training of direct reports as MO scales
What We’re Looking For
- A highly skilled professional who has previous experience in a similar role is strongly desired; corporate controllership for a federal Government contractor is a must
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required; Master’s degree in accounting or finance preferred
- 8+ years of experience in finance/accounting, in government contracts for multiple type contracts
- Experience in Government Contracts and cost accounting in the following types of contracts: IDIQ, Competitive, Firm-Fixed Price, and Time & Materials based contracts
- Deep knowledge and understanding of US GAAP
- Advanced knowledge of CAS, FAR, and DFARs and unallowable costs
- Expertise and understanding of accounting transaction workflow to include cost review, reconciliation of accounts, and adjustments
- Proficiency in using a variety of computer software applications, including GSuite, Slack and Zoom
- Proactive and consultative style, with a strong service focus required
- Strong communication, project management, and leadership skills with the ability to proactively manage a variety of projects and timelines
- Proactive mindset – plan to stay ahead while juggling multiple projects
- Fantastic written and verbal communication skills
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
- Comfort operating within a 100% remote environment across the company, balancing complex schedules across time zones
- Experience with QuickBooks required; experience with Unanet or Deltek Costpoint preferred
- Adaptability and flexibility in a fast-changing environment
- Ability to see the big picture with a sense of humor
- Must have: if not located in Scottsdale, AZ—willingness to travel up to 25% per month
- Nice to have: located in Scottsdale, AZ and can co-work in office location with company leaders
- Nice to have: experience working with the federal government and US Department of Veterans Affairs contracting environment
MO’s Employee Value Proposition
- A fun, dynamic working environment with an energetic and diverse team
- An inclusive culture where everyone is welcome
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Opportunities for career growth
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- 401K plan unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Short- and Long-Term Disability in addition to Life Insurance (company sponsored)
All MO leaders are expected to lead with humility, embody our core values in their leadership, and to hold their team accountable to the same. MO leaders are expected to ensure we are always growing by tackling hard problems, being strategic, and learning from others.
This application will remain open until filled.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all interested candidates to apply. If you have more experience beyond what is detailed here, we’d be happy to take a look. If you meet most but not all of the requirements, we still want to hear from you.