This is a unique opportunity to lead the development of Web3 & Society, which builds education and tooling to steward crypto for the public good.
I. What is Roote?
Roote is an educational hub and for-public startup studio accelerating the personal and collective transformation necessary for humanity’s transition to the Wisdom Age.
- Our educational hub runs the Roote Fellowship, a podcast, and a newsletter.
- Our startup studio launches Roote Projects, ambitious projects which catalyze systems-level change for a wiser world. Web3 & Society is a Roote Project.
II. Role Overview
This is a unique opportunity to lead the tooling side of Web3 & Society. We want to create Our World In Blockchain Data: an open-source database and visualization for the crypto data most important to society. We want to contribute to the epistemic commons by making Web3 more transparent.
This position is extremely entrepreneurial. If you’re interested in leading something new, uncertain, and exciting, please apply!
What You’ll Do
Here are specific examples of dashboards we want to create:
- Nakamoto Coefficients for each chain. (To make Web3 Decentralization transparent.) See https://bitcoinera.app/arewedecentralizedyet/.
- CO2 emissions for each chain. (To make “Is Web3 Green?” transparent.)
- Fundamental network valuation for each chain. (To democratize access to good investing metrics. For example, Metcalfe’s law, Sharpe ratios, and more.)
More generally, you will:
- Architect and build v1 dashboards like those above
- Determine which platform to use: OWID, Tableau, Datawrapper, etc.
- Build community by forming a DataDAO.
- In addition to data visualization, you will talk to users to make dashboards they truly love.
- At the beginning, you will work with Rhys and Brendon as co-Product Managers for Web3 & Society tooling, determining the product roadmap and other timelines.
- Finally, you will interface with the rest of the Web3 data community (Dune Analytics, CoinMetrics, Glassnode, Messari, Filecoin, Ocean, TEC, The Graph) to help achieve Web3 & Society’s goal of making Web3 more transparent and decentralized.
After 1 year, success looks like: a delightful, fast OurWorldInBlockchainData site that is loved by 10,000 users.
After 3 years, success looks like: 1M users, an expanding internal and external data team, and helping co-create a new movement around Web3 tooling and epistemic commons.
You May Be a Fit if You
- Are a programmer and data analyst with an eye for delightful consumer UX. You feel annoyed when the app isn’t a joy to use.
- Constantly strive for user feedback from users and love hearing customer stories good and bad.
- Work iteratively and are comfortable with lean and design thinking.
- Have a strong bias toward concrete action. You should often ask: “Why can’t this be done sooner?”
- Have a strong bias towards ambition. You should often ask: “Is this the most ambitious plan we could come up with?”
- Thrive in uncertainty. You enjoy creating certainty from uncertainty.
- Want to build community with the Web3 Data ecosystem.
Even if not all of these apply to you, we’d still love to consider your application, particularly if you’d like to learn more of these. Studies show that you can be considered for a role even if many of a job posting’s listed qualifications don’t apply to you. We evaluate all applications holistically.
Why You Might Be Excited About Us
- You get to be weird and creative. This is not a traditional VC firm, tech company, online school, or academic research hub.
- You want to work with us. Here is our team. And here are our How to Work With Me Manuals.
- We have a great network. You want to work with global leaders and ambitious frontier people.
- You are aligned with Roote’s guiding mission and values.
- We have an extremely flexible leave policy and provide benefits including full health, dental, and vision coverage.
Time Expectation: Start as soon as possible.
Location: We are a hybrid org based in the SF Bay Area. If you’re here, we’d work in the office together a few days a week. If you’re not here, we’d have quarterly offsites.
Compensation: This is a founding role, so the starting salary is $80,000/year + equity or tokens if this project spins out as a for-profit or DAO. We expect to increase the salary as we grow.
(The listed salary is based on US rates. We adjust salaries to reflect regional costs of living.)
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Work From Home
- Wellness Resources