There’s no denying it: all online marketplaces can provide opportunities for fraudsters and malicious actors. Our ability to track, record, and combat fraud at scale is required to serve our creators needs. Eventbrite is growing at a massive rate, and our team is keeping up with the volume. In 2019 we distributed more than 300 million tickets to more than 4 million experiences; processing hundreds of millions of tickets comes with a huge amount of exposure, and we’re charged with keeping it secure. We’ve built machine learning systems that can crunch through large amounts of data and make real time decisions, and great tools that help us parse through and visualize behavioral data, but at the heart of it all this is the ability to make the right call at the right time by expert analysts, data scientists and operational specialists. Our job is to protect our customers and Eventbrite from fraud and malicious acts, while ensuring our technology and process is seamless and delightful.
The Fraud & Chargebacks team is a small group with diverse backgrounds. We are a crucial part of the larger PPO team (Policy & Platform Operations) who serves a critical role in allowing our community to experience Eventbrite in a way that fosters trust, safety, diversity, and inclusiveness, while also internally managing certain legal and compliance risks associated with the Eventbrite platform. We are analysts, operations specialists, data scientists and engineers, with different quantitative and qualitative analytical skills. Our varied experiences help us look at the same problem sets in different ways to extract real insight. We work cross-functionally with teams around the company to solve whatever challenges come our way.
You’ll lead a team of specialists in actioning specific cases of suspected fraud, spam and abuse, while partnering with Risk Detection & Analytics to ensure our detection mechanisms are continuously up to date, best in class, and surfacing the right issues and data for your team’s review. You’ll create fraud and chargeback policy balancing operator efficiency and loss prevention, and form relationships with the fraud and chargeback peer community to ensure continued benchmarking, and always look to bring value to our creator.
- Drive and be responsible for the fraud and chargeback operations team’s efficient and effective execution and loss prevention
- Develop relationships and partner with key stakeholders across PPO peers, product, treasury, and legal to effectively manage fraud and chargeback programs
- Manage complicated collusion or account takeover escalations and quickly execute remediation strategies addressing internal and external communications, any law enforcement, and cross-functional coordination
- Develop governance, escalation and accountability frameworks
- Engage deeply with metrics, optimizing team performance in order to meet OKRs
- Use analysis and observation to identify process improvements, build consensus on new approaches, and drive change when needed
- Lead, mentor and grow a high-performing team
- Keep a pulse on the health of our programs by monitoring numerous real-time queues and Tableau dashboards, ensuring appropriate turnaround times and helping the team prioritize risky transactions and other abuse for manual review
- Maintain strong domain knowledge for the worlds of fraud, chargebacks, and spam, by staying informed about industry changes and advancements including prevention techniques and technologies
- Collaborate with analysts, operations specialists, data scientists and engineering to improve our fraud prevention mechanisms, processes and tools
The Skill Set
- The Fraud & Chargeback Operations team collectively works 7 days a week. As manager of the team, you may need to support a non-traditional schedule, at times, including weekends, non-business hours and holidays*
- 8+ years in fraud, chargeback, and/or spam operations
- 5+ years in people management roles
- Ability to inspect data, digest trends, and surface insights from Tableau dashboards
- Collaboration, communication, and relationship-building skills including conveying complex ideas to various audiences
- Ability to spot patterns and formalize complex ideas into a well-defined process
- A passion for keeping up with new trends in platform manipulation
- Proven strength in data analysis and data-driven decision making
- Quick-thinker, fast learner with a great work ethic
- Ability and desire to identify and develop exceptional talent to continuously improve operational efficiency and team member engagement
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills BA or BS Degree or higher
- Chargeback policy development experience
- External vendor selection and negotiation
- Active Eventbrite user with a passion for live events
- Working knowledge of SQL
WHAT WE OFFER
At Eventbrite, we strive to support our Britelings and their loved ones through different stages of life with robust and attractive benefits, financial and physical wellness options, and great perks.
In addition to offering a competitive salary and company stock, we have other great benefits available. In the Briteland, you’ll find great medical plans, fertility and adoption benefits, wellness reimbursement, generous parental leave, on-site services, and much more.
We care about your mental health and wellbeing
Our employees enjoy free coaching sessions with Modern Health. We also offer free therapy sessions with a psychologist. You’ll also have access to private medical insurance for you and your family, that includes dental care. And if you like sports, we have our wellness program to pay for your gym expenses.
Ongoing training and career development is an important part of our culture
We offer unlimited access to courses in Udemy, language exchange programs, internal training, Briteling talks, workshops and weekly sessions with our CEO
Work-life balance is extremely important to us
Our employees can choose what works best for them: work in one of our offices, be fully remote or the best of both worlds! We believe in a flexible working environment to allow Britelings to perform at their best ensuring a healthy work-life balance. We have recently implemented Britebreak Fridays: all Britelings turn off their computers and take the first Friday of every month off to focus on their wellbeing.
Eventbrite is a global self-service ticketing and experience technology platform that serves a community of nearly one million event creators in over 180 countries. Since inception, Eventbrite has been at the center of the experience economy, transforming the way people organize and attend events. The Eventbrite platform provides an intuitive, secure, and reliable service that enables creators to plan and execute their live and online events, whether it’s an annual culinary festival attracting thousands of foodies, a professional webinar, a weekly yoga workshop or a youth dance class. With over 300 million tickets distributed to more than 4 million experiences in 2019, Eventbrite is where people all over the world discover new things to do or new ways to do more of what they love.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
Eventbrite is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer supporting workforce diversity. We do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, political affiliation, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.