At Poll Everywhere, we are building a product that is more than just an engagement tech tool. We are passionate about making a product that makes an impact. So how do we create a product that gives people the tools they need to be heard in situations where they otherwise would have not? By forming engineering teams that are centered around development and collaboration that dive into new technologies or build out highly scalable features for our enterprise customers. At Poll Everywhere, we are serious about helping our engineers meet their career goals and strive to create learning opportunities for those who are proactive.
Poll Everywhere is a 60+ person growing B2B SaaS company on a mission to make presentations more inclusive. Transforming presentations into two-way conversations, our platform enables presenters to create interactive questions, words clouds, discussions, and competitions that their audience can respond to using any device. Founded in 2008, we now support millions of users worldwide from educational institutions to household companies such as Google, AT&T, and Target.
We’re looking for an ambitious developer with at least 2+ years of web application experience. As a Frontend Engineer, you will work on and potentially lead projects to enhance and support customer-facing features. You will write code that is easy to read, understand, and maintain using many different technologies. Our core tech stack includes Ruby on Rails, MySQL, ES6, Redux, Sass, and Lit Element for WebComponents. Poll Everywhere has a great track record of being a place to enhance and deepen your technical skills.
What you’ll do
- Build fast, reliable, real-time web-based applications.
- Build reusable Web Components that provide a consistent user experience across our wide offering of interfaces.
- Participate in many aspects of delivering a project (architecture, planning, communication, documentation, metrics, and execution)
- Write maintainable tests while you code, avoiding both false positives and false negatives. TDD and BDD are welcome here!
- Own and deliver on more than one objective at a time by completing your project’s feature work while contributing to the team through code reviews and ongoing maintenance.
- Collaborate and work with Product Managers and Technical Project Leads (engineers) to understand your tasks and responsibilities.
- Work with a coach who’s invested in finding the right opportunities for your growth.
What you bring to the role
- 2-4 years of web application development professional working experience
- 2-4 years of server-side web frameworks (Ruby on Rails, Phoenix, Django, Express)
- 2+ years building web components with a modern framework such as Lit/Polymer, React, Vue.js.
- 1+ year working with a Flux-based state management library such as Redux, Vuex, Mobx.
- Awareness of secure coding practices and the importance of incorporating these practices in your work.
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience building Electron apps
- B.S. or B.A. in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Experience building Microsoft Office plugins (especially PowerPoint)
- Experience with WebSockets and time-sensitive workloads
- Experience optimizing page rendering times using a tool such as Lighthouse
- An eye for design and passion for improving user experience
What we offer:
- Generous PTO – that you’re expected to actually use
- $150/month internet & cell phone reimbursement
- Monthly coffee or tea subscription
- $1,000 annual self-development budget
- $500 work from home stipend to help you set up your remote work life for success
- Once we are able to safely reunite as an entire company, we will resume holding our company retreats, so teams can spend time collaborating together in-person.
Our users come from all kinds of communities, and so do PollEvians. We want to work with great people from a wide variety of backgrounds who put a lot of care and pride into their work. We’re committed to providing you with opportunities to learn, and we’re looking to hire people with good judgment.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications or check off all the boxes, you should still seriously consider applying. An important part of our interview process is understanding why this position and our mission particularly resonated with you.
Application Process: Keep applications brief; we want small resumes with relevant experience. Be prepared to defend any laundry lists of skills. Principals only, please. We aren’t using contingency staffing agencies at the moment. Poll Everywhere is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please note that we are unable to sponsor a US work visa at this time.