TXI is looking for our next Head of Design to continue to develop and scale our design team while expertly guiding our client’s design strategy.
The Head of Design is a leader within the Delivery organization and a member of the TXI leadership team. They assume responsibility for design quality of all of our products, our processes on the team, and mentor and coach both individual contributors and design managers. They are responsible for the health and effectiveness of the Design team in total—managing multiple designers’ and design managers’ careers and performance, understanding their goals, and identifying growth opportunities. They provide strategic input to project teams and internal groups where necessary and shape TXI’s overall Design strategy company-wide.
Design at TXI
Design matters to us. Design manifests possibility and gives us a glimpse of our future. It provides us with a sense of purpose and guides our intent. Design is never about just an idea. It requires an understanding of its audience. Design is strategic. It generates value by driving deliverables, outcomes, and recommendations. Design is bigger than a single skill set or discipline.
We design for resonance: to create change, and to make meaning. We aim to design product and service experiences that we are proud of—in a consistent and repeatable way. While there’s much more behind these five design principles, we believe they hold us accountable to each other, our clients, their users, and our own work:
What We’re Looking For
This role is responsible for guiding the next phase in the evolution of design at TXI. We’re looking for an accomplished and versatile design leader with a 15+ year track record of success in designing digital experiences within a consultative setting. You’ll successfully advise our clients, execute projects, mentor practitioners, promote TXI design in the community, and support demand.
In this role, you’ll split your time between leading the practice and delivering active client work as a principal-level consultant.
As the head of practice, you’ll shape our product design capabilities, grow and mentor practitioners, and guide the evolution of design at TXI.
As a consultant, you’ll be a partner and advisor to our clients and a resource for our teams. You’ll lead integrated teams to define design strategy and translate it into intuitive, evidence-based, digital experiences that are widely adopted and create significant value.
You’re an empathetic listener and an effective communicator. You’re a creative problem-solver with the ability to move between the strategic and the tactical with ease, and you have proven expertise in inspiring and shipping great work.
Don’t hesitate to apply if you don’t meet 100% of the expectations below. If you’re an experienced design leader and consultant who can set and execute a vision, we want to hear from you!
Leading the practice
- Define design capabilities and implement new practices in collaboration with members of the practice.
- Foster a sense of purpose and camaraderie within the Design practice.
- Directly manage senior members of the practice and provide coaching and mentorship for all practitioners, supporting their skill development and career goals. Understand individuals’ existing skill sets and opportunities for growth, and collaborate with others to facilitate that development.
- Shape our team as a hiring manager. Actively recruit talent who can expand and evolve our design capabilities.
- Participate in promotion panels and compensation reviews.
- Champion our Design Principles and hold our work accountable to them.
- Steer TXI’s strategic capability development in partnership with the other heads of practice, the Chief Innovation & Strategy Officer, and our Demand function. Develop a deep understanding of our market to effectively support the Chief Innovation & Strategy Officer in devising their strategy and executing it.
- Bring a strong point of view on design, design strategy, and design ops we can learn from internally and share externally in the market.
- Champion and support new ideas and approaches—sponsoring and partnering with others to help manifest them.
- Seek and internalize challenging feedback from every one, no matter their title, to fuel your own growth.
- Sponsor initiatives seeking investment or impacting TXI broadly e.g. Accessibility, Product Innovation, Design Ops.
- Help shape the direction of TXI as a member of our leadership team
Delivering high-quality work for our clients
- Play a hands-on role when we need you. In addition to providing regular oversight, you will be called upon to help create work—leveraging design thinking and incorporating business goals, technical feasibility, and product priorities.
- Lead client work in key accounts, build executive-level relationships and identify new project opportunities.
- Articulate compelling product design visions providing clarity and building conviction.
- Devise comprehensive design strategies for large-scale, complex (multi-channel, multi-year, multi-product) roadmaps.
- Plan and coordinate generative and evaluative design research yielding actionable insights and recommendations with impactful outcomes.
- Facilitate a variety of workshops, critical conversations, and alignment sessions in a remote-first work environment.
- Advocate for accessibility best practices/standards within our clients and the industry—across experience design and UX research.
- Support project/team leads pairing to ensure account success and a positive team dynamic.
- Coordinate design staffing with input and support from design managers and Staffing Analyst.
- Provide design assurance—challenging team members to deliver the highest-quality work and client experience.
- Partner with Demand to internalize client needs, goals, and constraints; and scope complex design engagements based on business and user value.
- Embrace the rapid, adaptive nature of product innovation work and be comfortable leading through ambiguity.
- Be a role model for other consultants as a trusted, strategic design advisor to our clients Offer feedback that fuels positive transformations in individuals and organizations
- Foster deep connections with design communities inside and outside of TXI
Who We Are
We’re a curious and humble group of people who are very intentional about personal growth and supporting each other’s careers. We’re always looking for new skills, frameworks, and approaches to deliver the most meaningful product experiences. And we’re constantly pushing ourselves to experiment, explore, and challenge assumptions.
We bring that same passion for learning and growth to our clients: digging into their organizations, reframing their problem statements, and spending time with their users. This ensures we’re pushing our clients forward while developing and delivering valuable products that matter.
What your days will look like, what success looks like
Proper expectation setting has a big impact on your growth. Here is some of what you can expect in your first two years as the Head of Design:
Within 1 month, you will…
– Start the company onboarding process, learning more about our company’s culture, values, history, and commitments to our clients
– Gain an understanding of our integrated product innovation process, tooling, and frameworks
– Shadow client teams to learn from and about our integrated teams of delivery managers, designers, engineers, and product managers
– Learn more about the client experience, from sales to product discovery and delivery, and their ongoing evolution
– Go deeper into the employee experience of working at TXI, meeting with key leaders across the company while building relationships with the broader team
– Join the weekly leadership team meetings, learn about the EOS structure that TXI runs on, and begin working with the members of the leadership team
Within 3 months, you will…
– Complete your onboarding process with your onboarding cohort
– Lead your first product engagement or be advising product managers across multiple engagements
– Foster relationships with delivery managers, strategists, designers, and engineers on your teams as well as across the company
– Meet regularly with the Heads of Delivery Management, Product Strategy, and Engineering to discuss and define strategic capability priorities
– Attend your first leadership offsite to reflect on the past quarter and plan for the next one
– Build relationships with your direct reports
– Attend your first TXI Quarterly with the rest of the organization
Within 6 months, you will…
– Build relationships with the Chief of Staff and Chief Innovation & Strategy Officer, and receive your first semi-annual 360 feedback
– Push your team to do its best work yet. You’ll know the team well by this point and understand how to encourage them to perform at their best and achieve goals that the whole team and company can be incredibly proud of
– Advance the craft of design at TXI. You’ll share your knowledge with others, learn from them, and perhaps define an experiment or two so we can all learn together
– Learn new processes and tools to support further growth while developing your own skills
Within 1 year, you will…
– Attend a company retreat to get to know all of your fellow colleagues in person Potentially start with a second client or re-engage with your first client on a new product or phase of work, all while deepening your relationships
– Run the promotion and compensation cycle for the design practice
– Attend your first ESOP share party as an employee-owner and celebrate the value we’re building together
After 2 years, you will…
– Look back proudly on the client-centered and organizational changes you’ve inspired or directed, as well as the impact on how we do business
Some reasons why you might like working with us
1. We have been recognized for both our internal employee experience and for delivering a trusted customer experience. At TXI, we are very intentional about the way we work and support both our team and our clients.
2. We focus on Product Innovation by helping initially to envision new product concepts for our clients. We are core contributors to shaping the work that we do and the problems we’re working to solve. In addition to that ideation stage, we get to help them bring these new concepts to market. We help both to build the right thing (design thinking and product discovery) and build the thing right (agile mindset and iterative approach).
3. We care about DEIB (diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging). To deliver the best solutions, we need as many bright and diverse minds in the room as possible, and we need to be able to learn from them once they’re there. That’s why we’re working to create an environment that’s comfortable and inclusive for everyone. Learn more about our DEIB learnings, roadmap, and history.
4. We work in a variety of industries and encourage our team members to explore new domains, solve different kinds of problems, and adopt new technologies. There is no getting bored in our portfolio; you’ll work across health care, edtech, manufacturing, and nonprofits—just to name a few–and build web, mobile, and IOT solutions
5. We work in integrated teams (and avoid staff augmentation). At TXI, we seek to bring all of the good ideas to the table so you learn from the talented teammates you regularly pair with. Product, delivery, design, and engineering regularly collaborate, and we are all listening to the same users
6. We are intentional about supporting each individual’s growth. “Challenge and support each other” is a core value of the company and we take that mission seriously. That’s why every employee has a personal learning and development budget and a bi-weekly conversation with their manager about their progress–as well as why our CEO created the Sticky Note Game to encourage each person’s path at TXI.
7. We believe that wellness and a sustainable pace deliver the best outcomes. We commit to being dedicated partners to our clients for a sustainable 35 hours a week. We don’t require regular travel or client on-site time. Our team members enjoy flexible schedules with a hybrid (colocated or remote) working environment and discretionary time off because we respect that everyone has a life outside of work.
8. We value transparency and open discussion. You will have a front-line view of the company’s performance, risks and issues, finances and budgets. With unique tools and facilitation techniques, we also regularly connect and discuss topics as a company to guide our path forward.
9. We build products that matter. We advance the causes and goals of our partners and consistently deliver outcomes for them. See some examples below.
What We Make
For over two decades, we’ve partnered with clients across industries to research, design, and develop custom web and mobile applications that make a meaningful impact. These impacts include:
* Empowering nonprofits with real-time insight into progress and potential for donor impact through transformative fundraising software
* Designing a digital experience that is driven by evidence-based treatment and therapy plans to support LGBTQ+ youths between the ages of 14 and 17 who face societal and personal biases due to their orientation prior to coming outDriving accountability and motivation for patients recovering from spinal surgery through an integrated mobile app and wearable device on the patient’s lower back
* Improving prediction of patient enrollment in global clinical trials for life-saving drugs through the integration of advanced analytics and digital innovation
* Creating a new mobile app to inspire employees to love where they work by delivering meaningful savings and recognition in their workplace, while also amplifying merchant partner reach across the US
But the work is just part of what makes TXI a rewarding place to be. We support each others’ interests—whether it’s volunteering, organizing meetups, speaking at industry events, or learning new techniques and technologies. If there’s something you’re passionate about, we want you to pursue it so you can teach it to the rest of us. Our company Lunch & Learns and regular practice meetings are just some of the ways we create space for sharing, learning, and professional development.
What We Offer
We believe in equitable pay. The salary range for this role is $180,000-255,000. In addition to our base compensation, we offer a bi-annual bonus based on company performance and the following benefits, intended to take care of you (and the people you care about):
– Quality health insurance
– Paid parental leave policy (equal for all TXI parents) and discretionary paid time off
– 401k plan, including employer matching
– A remote-first work environment with minimal onsite client work
– Company retreats and Quarterly days – a chance to connect with each other in person
– Benefits for continuing education, donation matching, renewable energy switching
– Employee Stock Ownership Program: TXI is 100% employee owned through an ESOP, which grants shares of company stock to all employees as a retirement benefit
US-friendly hours are strongly preferred. We have a remote environment at TXI with distributed team members in the US, Canada, and Europe who are working from home. We communicate and collaborate effectively in a remote environment with tools like Miro, Notion, Slack, and Zoom. We also prioritize virtual bonding and values such as inclusivity, autonomy and trust while ensuring we take steps to foster positive interactions between employees.
While we encourage asynchronous communication, we often work in pairs or in collaboration sessions, so it is important to have some core hours of overlap with our clients and fellow team members. Regardless of where you are living and working, we will get together in person and as a company several times a year to help build connections and foster relationships within our team.
What to expect next
If we move forward, here’s what the rest of the process will look like in order to determine if this will be an amazing fit for you.
Initial Interview: After connecting with our recruiting team, you’ll meet the current Head of Design over Zoom and cover some TXI basics. We’ll then focus on your past work and how it relates to what you’d be doing at TXI. This stage is a 2-call process and should take no more than 90 minutes total. (Unless you want to dig in, chat more and spend some extra time learning about us!)
Case Study and Presentation: Here is where we give you a job preview for the role, as well as the opportunity to demonstrate your design thinking, creativity, and strategy. During the case study, we’ll ask you questions about your approach to research, product design, and design strategy. Our goal is to get a sense of how you approach client work, how you collaborate with a team, and how you solve problems. Additionally, we’ll want you to share details about your leadership philosophy, management style, and vision for design—don’t worry, we’ll provide those specific questions in advance so you have time to prepare! This stage should take about 90 minutes total, and by the end, we’ll both have a clear sense of how we’ll work together.
Final All-Team Interview: At this stage we’re incredibly excited about your potential to join TXI. You’ll meet with 6–8 of your potential integrated team members over a 3½-hour session, where we will learn more about your leadership skills, consultative skills, and values alignment. You will also spend time with members of our leadership team to talk about how TXI can support you on your journey.
Offer/Decision within 24–48 hours: You’ve made it! You successfully completed the process and spent about 6–7 hours learning about us while sharing more about yourself. Once we get to this stage, we like to move fast. We’re committed to debriefing within 24 hours and presenting a final decision within 48 hours (or less!) of your final interview day. If we choose to move forward, our team will collaborate with you to ensure you have all the information you need to make the right decision for you and your career!
We take equality seriously.
TXI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal opportunity employment without regard to race, religion, color, gender (including gender identity, change of sex, and transgender status), sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.