- Oversee the company’s corporate legal functions, including Intellectual Property, employment law, contracts, education law
- Drive the company’s legal strategy, effectively assessing risk and enabling effective decision-making across the organization
- Manage external law firms, ensuring project completion and managing legal costs
- Build the corporate legal infrastructure of the company, including contracts and contracts management, intellectual property management
- Oversee the company’s government relations function
- Support the executive team and board of directors
- Work cross-functionally with stakeholders across teams like Product, Engineering, Marketing, Community and Trust & Safety
- Design and build a legal team of both in-house and external resources
- Ensure we’re operationally efficient and effective in negotiating and managing contracts across the organization
- Partner with and advise our People Operations team on processes, procedures, and compliance
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Experience managing an in-house legal function for a growth-stage startup, including managing an in-house team and outside counsel
- Experience with the legal issues facing marketplace companies, including IP and labor law considerations
- Experience overseeing a broad range of legal subject matter, including but not limited to employment law, corporate governance, commercial law, & data privacy
- Strong judgment and a track record of managing risk while enabling business growth and product experimentation
- Intellectual curiosity and a desire to understand and support product innovation
- The highest level of integrity, comfort with managing confidential information
- Strong people management skills and ability to recruit and hire exceptional legal talent
- Strong ability to turn legalese into language that everyone can understand, especially as it relates to policy and procedure
- An ability to teach others how to assess risk, negotiate and make effective decisions
- A lifelong learner who is passionate about continual growth & development
- J.D. with bar admission in good standing from any state across the U.S.
- Experience in an online marketplace is a plus
- Experience as in-house General Counsel is a plus, but not required. We’re open to someone who has held other in-house counsel positions at a growth stage company
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and investment plans that make saving for retirement easier.
- Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established charities and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.