ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role, but you’ll need to be able to work and meet synchronously as needed with the engineering team (about 45% around UTC timezone and 45% in US timezones) and the rest of the company (about 60% in US timezones).
- As the Head of Operational Excellence, you will help bring Sourcegraph to enterprise-grade readiness across the board, both internally for SG devs and externally for our customers. You will be responsible for driving operational maturity programs and initiatives across the 300-person/90-developer company, including designing processes where we have gaps, and bringing existing process to modern standards.
- As the ideal candidate, you will have deep familiarity with the Google SRE operations model, as well as professional experience with the subjects covered in the Google SRE book. Experience with alternative ops models, such as those employed by Amazon, Netflix, and other high-velocity companies with large scale and deep technical stacks, is also desirable.
- You will help Sourcegraph level up in all phases of deployment, operations, and incident response, including bringing best practices in-house for building stable and resilient systems, including on-premises at very large customers with custom configurations and architectures. Your team will not initially be large enough to perform all this work; hence, you must work closely with the rest of the Engineering organization to ensure that everyone is following best practices.
- You will own the Sourcegraph developer experience end-to-end, bringing best practices in builds, CI/CD, and developer productivity. Experience with Bazel is desirable, along with building and deploying Go-based microservice architectures, particularly on Kubernetes. Among your other responsibilities, you will guide an existing DevEx team forward in reducing the time from code to deployment and improving the observability of the testing/deployment environments and pipelines.
- You will also lead a team that runs self-hosted deployments, from the small hobbyist experience to the large corporate customer’s first official setup. Your deep experience with both modern and legacy architectures will help you tailor the Sourcegraph installation and setup process to a wide variety of specialized needs for enterprise, while remaining easy and accessible for hobby devs.
- You will work closely with the Sourcegraph Cloud team to ensure that they are also using best practices. Some familiarity with Google Cloud Platform is a must, and AWS and/or Azure experience are bonuses.
- This role will challenge your leadership skills, requiring you to drive initiatives in a fully-remote company that is distributed globally. You will be a high-agency actor, finding the right balance between disturbing other important work and moving the needle on OE. It will not be an easy problem to solve, but as the ideal candidate, you have already done this many times at other companies in many configurations.
- Security/secops experience is a bonus but not required.
We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, we are working hard to make our compensation ranges visible across the board. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live.
The target compensation for this role is $268,154 USD base.
In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
Introduction Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- [30m] Recruiter Screen
- [30m] Hiring Manager Screen
- [60m] Resume Deep Dive
Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [60m] Technical Interview
- [60m] Cross-functional Team Collaboration Interview
- [60m] Peer Interview
- [60m] Team Interview
Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30m] Values Interview
- [30m] Leadership Interview
- References and offer preparation
And that’s it! Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees