At Marco Polo we’re passionate about helping people feel close. We develop technology to make that kind of magic happen, and we insist on feeling joyful along the way :D. As we’ve grown, we’ve been intentional about hiring and creating an environment in which every member of our team is not just great at their job but also thoughtful, caring, and purpose-driven. We’re looking to hire a Head of People Ops.
A great candidate for this role will have experience with scaling companies from ~50 people to ~200 people, operating in a startup environment and working strategically to implement processes that reflect cultural values and business needs. As our first full-time People Ops hire, you’ll be shaping and building out this function over time. And as we grow, you will scale our processes, implement new solutions, and help grow the team.
In this position, you will:
- Drive healthy org scaling with diversity and inclusion in mind: Be the go-to person who helps our organization scale (i.e. to double in the next year). You’ll help ensure that we have an effective hiring and onboarding process that strikes the right balance between efficiency and business impact. You’ll develop and execute creative sourcing strategies to attract and engage diverse talent. You’ll conduct initial phone screens, represent Marco Polo culture and values, and ensure that new hires have a great experience all the way through onboarding.
- Be strategic in how we build and evolve our processes: Collaborate effectively with teammates across the organization to understand what’s working and what’s not. You’ll become a strategic advisor on organization design, change management, compensation, and people strategy. You’ll leverage people data, your gut, your network, and your experience to proactively identify organizational needs, evaluate options, and develop and drive process improvements to support broad talent strategy and business goals.
- Oversee all aspects of People Operations: You’ll also oversee outside vendors, including our PEO provider. You’ll vet and implement stage-appropriate technology and partner solutions for Marco Polo’s People Ops needs. You’ll work with others to execute and improve cyclical programs including quarterly retreats, quarterly feedback sessions, and Peakon surveys.
- Be a champion of Marco Polo culture and values: You’ll support building a collaborative, cohesive culture that is team-driven, values-driven, and uses data to drive decisions, performance, and recognition. You’ll manage talent learning and development programs and work with our part-time HR specialist and Head of Finance & Ops to design competitive benefits. You’ll look for ways to improve how we operationalize our values and how we can make our 100% remote work environment even more joyful.
- Serve as a coach and a listening board to all in the Marco Polo organization.
Ideally, you have:
- Passion for culture and People Operations (Human Resources) – including 7+ years of relevant experience – and you love it so much that you can’t help but geek out on the latest research on how to create a great remote organization.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, flexible tech startup environment with a lot of moving parts, while scaling the team from ~50 to ~200.
- Experience with organizational design and effectiveness, change management, performance management, leadership coaching, learning and development programs, and compliance.
- Passion for making company values come to life and experience in actually making it happen.
- Successful track record of creating, improving, and executing programs and processes that fit the unique needs and culture of the organization.
- A deep sense of empathy and understanding for the needs of diverse groups of people.
- Expertise in seeking alignment with the leadership team and building trusting relationships with people at all levels.
- Desire to work joyfully, to work hard, and to continuously level up. You look for ways to infuse your work with joy, you’re willing to put in the hours if necessary, but you level up the process so that next time you don’t have to.
- Evidence of effective collaboration skills to work successfully in a 100% remote team environment; this includes a mentality of humility and open-hearted listening as well as ability to make decisions without having full consensus.
A bit about us:
We’re on a mission to help people feel close. We’ve been a fully distributed team from the very beginning. And we care about working joyfully and making a big difference in the world.
Our app, Marco Polo®, is already reaching millions of people, helping them feel close to the most important people in their lives. Our new service, Marco Polo Channels, is a one-to-many coaching solution on your own time. Launched in early 2020, Channels has many successful leaders earning revenue doing what they love.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We can add teammates from anywhere in North America.
Working here is awesome because:
- We’re a purpose-driven company making a difference in the lives of millions of people.
- We’re not just a team, we’re a Teamily. This means that when you join Marco Polo, you’ll join a group of people who aren’t just passionate about what they do, but also care about each other!
- We’re moving quickly so things never get stale.
- We offer competitive compensation, including equity, and we’ve got you covered when it comes to your health (medical, vision, dental) and your family (paid family leave).
Does this sound exciting to you? If so, then we’d love to hear from you.
Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your resume
- A question you want to make sure we ask you in the interview
- Answers to these questions:
- Why do you think this role will be a good next step for you?
- How did you help with scaling in your previous role?
- What’s most important in order to make remote teams work?
- What is your professional superpower and what’s an example of how it’s come in handy?
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com